nuke options to get rid of snails in fishless planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
nuke options to get rid of snails in fishless planted tank

Hi,
i will have a luxury of one of my tanks being free of fish for a few days. there are small snails inthere that i hate. what are my nuke options in this case?
CO2 overdose? any chemicals? im open to anything that works. i know copper does but no idea where to get and how to dose it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
Hi,
i will have a luxury of one of my tanks being free of fish for a few days. there are small snails inthere that i hate. what are my nuke options in this case?
CO2 overdose? any chemicals? im open to anything that works. i know copper does but no idea where to get and how to dose it
you will never get rid of the copper, so i wouldnt use that.

what fish do you keep? maybe add a puffer, they are incredibly smart and entertaining and should keep snail population down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

You can always gas them out with CO2. Use a ridiculous amount straight into the water with near no surface agitation and they will be dead in a day. Repeat for a week and you've got every snail and egg.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Does this CO2 nuke option work on limpets?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe make a snail trap? I've seen many successful videos on YouTube of them working, might be the safest method IMO.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Serra sells a snail trap and you should be able to get a snail poison at your petshop. Do watch out for copper like said above...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Alum will also work, but like chipper you will never be able to get rid of it if there is substrate in the tank, but it works and is readilly available from the spice section of the grocery store

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CO2 it is then.

can anyone comment on using carbonized water from store to avoid hooking up pressurized co2(im lazy and most probably need to shop for tubes to do so) ?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol, if only there was a way to get the nozzle from the sodastream into the water... (go 80's).

just buy a packet of yeast at the grocer. Mix it with 2 cups of sugar in a 2 litre bottle with an air tube through the cap.
I make the hole smaller than the tube, then put the end of the tube through, jam a 2 way connector into the tube end and force it back to the hole in the cap, so the inner connector is pressing the tube tight against the lid.
Leave about 3 inches open in the top when filling with mildly warm water.
I mean like it must hardly feel warmer than your hand... Using the whole packet of yeast should give a strong, if short production of co2.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ive read of people using sparkling water to gas a tank with co2. I'm not sure how big your tank is and how much it would take but apparently its been used to nuke scuds and there is no residual effects.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i intend to lower water level so that i can use managable amount of store sparkling water (a six pack or two of 2L bottles for example)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Planted Member

I tried it and it killed many but some were way under the substrate and it didn't get those. My tank was MOSTLY carbonated and bubbled for a long time. My plants didn't appreciated and it killed off about half my HC.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

reporting back.
i dumped a sixpack of carbonated water in almost drained tank which made concentration of sparkling water roughly 2/3. the filter was off.
the show was spectacular! its was like newyears fireworks in the aquarium
it lasted for good few hours. in the morning i couldnt spot a single moving snail. will keep a close eye on that and repeat the procedure if neccesary. here are a few pics of the show

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Planted Member

I took out more water of a Spec III and put in 3 liters of carbonated water. So probably higher concentration than you.

Thread

It didn't work.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
I took out more water of a Spec III and put in 3 liters of carbonated water. So probably higher concentration than you.

Thread

It didn't work.
if this fails i will hook up pressurized co2 to the tank for a week or so

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode