Water hardness and crypts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Question Water hardness and crypts

Does water hardness affect the growth of crypts?

My entire planted tank career, I've been blessed with extremely soft water out of the tap, around 2 dGH and KH in Boston, and around 1 dGH and KH here in Portland. I've successfully grown (and killed as well) some of the most difficult plants in the hobby, Erios and Toninas and fine leafed Rotalas and such, but I have never, not once managed to grow a really nice looking crypt wendtii.

Whether high CO2, non-CO2, EI, PPS, aquasoil, eco complete or topsoil, my wendtiis always look sickly, and my petchiis and lucens often don't look to well either.

Is it that my water is just too soft? I add 1-2 dGH in the form of GH booster to little affect. Do I need to really crank up the Ca and Mg additions? Do I need a higher KH? Do crypts grow just fine in super soft water and I'm screwing up something else?

HOW DO I GROW A NICE LOOKING WENDTII?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use to live in a very soft water place and had to adapt to high pH low GH water.

I think what I have seen is that boosting the GH to 5-7 dGH helps. The crypts do not seem to mind the carbonate hardness.

I use a GH booster in all my tanks.

The Toninas and so on, do not like KH above 2 or 3 d.

I hope this helps.

Joe
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Thanks, I can try getting the GH up to 5+.
My crypts live in a separate tank from my softwater plants, so I can boost the KH as well without affecting anything negatively. I just don't know if it will help either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode