Is it ok to add salt for mollies to a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it ok to add salt for mollies to a planted tank?

I keep mostly mollies and platys, and the lfs guy said I should add salt for them. Will this negatively affect my plants? And what about my cories, loaches, and pleco?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Platys don't need salt, none at all. They breed like guppies in almost any water. Mollies are much more difficult to keep happy, being a brackish water fish to start with. I just don't keep any for that reason. And, salt in a planted tank isn't a good idea, unless you are aiming at a brackish water tank, where plant choices are very limited.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd just keep the water on the hard side and skip the salt.

Most domesticated Mollies can do fine in straight freshwater, though they'll generally do better in hard than soft water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You might want to set up a separate tank for the Mollies. Platies can go either way, and the other fish are pretty forgiving, but if you can set up a low end brackish tank for the Mollies they will probably do better. Hard water at least, if you want to minimize the salt. The other fish (except Platies) do not like salt, and plants do not like salt.
I would not add salt to a planted tank. I would separate the fish and run each tank at the optimum conditions for those fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
I kept mollies in my SW frag tanks for algae control. I've never had good luck with them in FW unless there was lots of salt and very warm water. Look at most of them in the LFS with clamped fins and the shimmies. I think you could eventually get a few to survive and do fine but I think the loss rate would be high.

SteveU
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
i have a pure black molly in mine that i bought a long while ago for hair algae control, he seems very happy and content, my water is quite soft due to RO and no salt

click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use RODI water and have nothing but molly and plattys besides my bottom feeders. They are doing real well in no salt. All of the fish I have are at least second generation
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Planted Member

mollies and platies breed readily in many water conditions....and adding salt is bad for your plants

Hey,any of you happen to be/or know someone that are Crystal red/black shrimp breeders and stay in Petaling Jaya,Selangor,Malaysia?
if so,im looking for some decent shrimp and im hoping to get some...if so,pls pm me..thx ^^
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had a black molly in my planted tank. Average KH and GH 5-7. Boy that fish looked like it was on steroids! I'm sure that it was due to it's algae diet. It was constantly eating algae.

Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode