Stopping CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stopping CO2?

I just started up a planted tank and was looking to start with a DIY setup for awhile, I'd love a CO2 tank setup, but I can't swing the cost at the moment.

With a DIY setup, I'm thinking that realistically I might not be able to keep up with swapping out yeast, etc. long term. If I were to start adding CO2 for a few months, and then stopped, would I start to lose plants?

Thanks much,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Welcome to TPT

I don't think that stopping the CO2 will kill your plants. I think that this question will be hard for people on here to answer or explain other ill effects that might happen from stopping the use of CO2 without knowing more about your tank. Lighting, ferts, size, ect....

If your doing a weekly water change, changing the yeast/water mixture is a minor bi-weekly chore, IMO.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I came to hate changing my DIY CO2 bottle every week, so I stretched it to every 2 weeks, which sometimes was every 4 weeks when I would forget it. But, really, it isn't a very big or hard job. And, it isn't expensive each time you do it.

If you have high light intensity on your tank, then stopping the CO2 will very likely result in algae problems a couple of weeks later. But, if you have low light, stopping the CO2 will make the plants stop growing for awhile, but probably won't cause a major algae problem. Plants have to adapt to living with or without CO2, so stopping the CO2 would make them adjust their internal production of various enzymes, and that is what would stop their growth for awhile.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
i have run co2 for a year ( diy) wiht medium lighting and quit for months and only difference is algae growth and plants dont grow as fast, as long as your using ferts the plants will be fine.
lower lighting it will be fine, i went from medium lighting to lower on the tank so the algae is gone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode