The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy)
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
lisals
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quick little update...

Finally got around to testing the 5g hex. No nitrites, but super high ammonia and high nitrates. Not in any hurry to stock it, but I will be doing a water change on it tomorrow to get rid of some of the algae growing and to lower the ammonia some so the plants aren't getting damaged by it.
Can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but Pet Supermarket can/will order cherry shrimp for us when we want them. Just have to tell them at the latest on a Tuesday what we want. That way they can order it and it will get to them on Wednesday. And since the shrimp are tiny, they won't put them in to their tanks, so at least no risk of contamination from their own tanks that all actually look fairly healthy.
So that's great news for when I want to finally get some stock for the tank when it's ready.
Right now though, we don't have the extra $$ to spend on that.. so again.. not in any hurry for the tank to finish cycling

Going to do some water changes tomorrow and try to clean up the 125 some more. It's getting a lot of brown algae everywhere. Pretty sure it's b/c I've been overfeeding. Need to do an every other day feed schedule... or just stop giving in to the fish wiggles and only feed them about half of what I do lol.

New fish in the 40 are looking good so far. I haven't actually seen the mystery fish FF/SAE ones eating algae. They do pop up when I feed the tank though.. so.. /shrugs. When they get bigger, I'm going to transfer them to the 125.... maybe.

That's all for now. Will get photos tomorrow!

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome