Need some pro opinions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some pro opinions.

My trees I built them from driftwood and skewers I have applied some christmas moss with safe glue I know feel I should have shaped them more like a tree then a flat top as I do not think its gonna fill in that well....
What do guys think do you thin they will look good and fill out well in time?

Hoping they fill out well and it takes and covers all top of them....

Thinking now that the xmas moss may not get the height I hoped but still once full should look ok... I hope :/

If these do not work i may build too more from scratch and use willow or flame moss flame Would have been better for these 2 likely maybe?

Let me know what you guys think!
Heres the setup 38 gallon aqueon bow front
6 tigers
1 green
1 serpae
2 gold barbs
4 zebra danios 2 yellow 2 red
2 rosy barbs
1 black skirt tetra
This is all in foing for fish i think its at its limit to be healthy aquaroum maybe over?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447774950501_1447775008896.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	546073  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hey Ice,

First I wanted to tackle your stocking:
Quote:
- 6 tigers
- 1 green <-- Green neon tetra?
- 1 serpae <-- Very fin nippy fish regardless of school size.
- 2 gold barbs
- 4 zebra danios 2 yellow 2 red
- 2 rosy barbs
- 1 black skirt tetra <-- Also very nippy
All of your fish are schooling fish (assuming the 1 green is a tetra). They do better with a shoal around them where they feel safe. Some of those, like the serpae tetra, will start to nip other fishes fins because of this, too. I recommend reducing the types of fish you have and upping the numbers in each school. I'd go with 6+ of each selected species. Honestly, you wont get any real shoaling unless you have at least a dozen in a shoal. You'll also find the fish will start being more peaceful, less stressed AND it will look better when you have a giant school in your tank. They start swimming together and it gets quite beautiful. If you're unsure of how many fish you can keep in your tank, this website has a really good tool to help: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor.

This is a good thread that talks about the issues of schooling fish: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21...ml#post8154921

I'd recommend removing the Serpae, Black Fin, and Green (if that's a tetra) because you only have one of those fish that should be in school. That, or consider which fish you want to keep and adjust accordingly. Just remember that Serpae and Black Fins are nippy towards other fish.

The Moss and the tree:

The moss will grow in and fill out the tree BUT with the amount of moss you have it will take some time. The time it takes will depend on light exposure and nutrients in the water. I'd recommend getting more moss to place on top and also some where the twig/branch splits. You'll get full growth in the tree this way. Right now it will look like a flat top but adding moss lower down the stick will solve that.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Termato; 11-17-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added reference.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great advice thanks it seems the serpae swims with the barbs alot the black i do not personally like my daughter did lol
The green is a green tiger barb ok I will pick up another pack or 2 of xmass moss when im there again stiffs not cheap 12.99 for tiny cup here at lfs

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So shiuld the rosy barbs and yellow barbs be in group of 6 ea as well or are they ok with the other barb species to keep them happy?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Gold barbs* not yellow barbs lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Correction what I thought were rosy barbs are in fact cherry barbs 1 male and 1 female
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Like stated your stocking is not good.

Stick with 2 schools and you will be much happier.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

ICE! Don't buy it from the store! Go to the members section of this website and there is someone having a sale for Xmass moss right now (link below). You can get it far cheaper on the members section of this site.

Look at the For Sale and the RAOK threads. Here is a link to the thread I found the moss on sale.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...eeeeeeeee.html

There is also this thread with a lot of different kinds of moss you can check out (I actually just ordered some stems and root tabs from this member today!) https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...t-rootabs.html
-----

Stocking

Although the barbs will shoal together because they are barbs, they are different species. I'd recommend the following at least as a starting point:

Although, honestly, your tank would probably be better off with JUST two shoals. Then you could have about 10 of each of those fish. Once you have at least 6 of each of these fish, you are meeting the minimum requirements for shoaling of fish. There conditions are still not ideal for them. They wont start showing you their shoaling behavior until numbers are closer to 12. They live longer and happier lives when their shoals are more filled out. Just something to think about. Hope this helps!

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

Last edited by Termato; 11-17-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added resource
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I'm a little concerned about the front edge hanging over like that (unless I'm seeing it wrong). I don't have any experience with bowfronts, so I can't say for certain, but I expect at least the corners should be supported, and it looks pretty close.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I'm a little concerned about the front edge hanging over like that (unless I'm seeing it wrong). I don't have any experience with bowfronts, so I can't say for certain, but I expect at least the corners should be supported, and it looks pretty close.
I think it's just the shadow. The entire tank appears to be on a wooden stand.

I actually have a 29G with 1.5 inches on the front hanging off of a counter. It's one of those old slate bottom tank, though. That bottom is TOUGH. I did used to run my 29G with all four side edges hanging off. It never had a problem for the 8 months it was set up for. It was a new Marineland 29G glass tank. It usually depends on how the rest of the tank is being supported and how the weight is being distributed, but in both scenarios I've felt safe doing it. I would NEVER recommend doing what I've done though and, personally, would not do it with a tank bigger than a 29 gallon.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jus must be way she appears its all on a good solid stand

Ok so see if lfs will take the black fin and serpae for sure....

I do wanna see them schooling for sure.... hate to have to try to take gold barbs and cherrys back too

Maybe keep the 4 danios 6 tigers and 1 green tiger 2 cherrys and 2 golds return the black fin and serpae and get 3 more green tiger barbs... but ya in still not confident they will be achooling as the gold and cherrys seem to have no interest in swimming with the tigers lol
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceangler650 View Post
Jus must be way she appears its all on a good solid stand

Ok so see if lfs will take the black fin and serpae for sure....

I do wanna see them schooling for sure.... hate to have to try to take gold barbs and cherrys back too

Maybe keep the 4 danios 6 tigers and 1 green tiger 2 cherrys and 2 golds return the black fin and serpae and get 3 more green tiger barbs... but ya in still not confident they will be achooling as the gold and cherrys seem to have no interest in swimming with the tigers lol
I know it's hard to let go of fish, especially if you probably just got them. It's a hard decision but I'm only making these suggestions based on what's best for the fish and their ideal environment to thrive in. It always works out better that way, from experience.

Here is how I'd modify your intended stocking:
Keep
- Tiger Barbs
- Zebra Danios
- 2 gold barbs OR 2 rosy barbs OR return both species. I would not keep both.

Return
- Green Tiger Barb
- Black Fin
- Serpae

Get More Of
- At least 2 more zebra danios, but you may chose to go 8 total for their safety.

I'd pick either the gold or rosy barb. I wouldn't keep both. This is becasue you can't have a 6+ shoal of all three types of barbs AND the danios without over stocking your tank. Honestly, if it were me, I'd return all barb species except the tiger barbs. That way you can have more of that one species and they will be healthier for it, too.

My conclusion based on what you said (NOTE: Six of each of these fish gives you 106% stocking. I wouldn't go anywhere near more fish than this if you keep these species until you know for certain you keep maintain the tank at that stocking level. Running overstocked tanks is not recommended unless you have a lot of experience.)

If it were my tank, what I'd stock it with:

Why? Kuhli Loaches are bottom feeders and will eat the extra food that falls to the substrate. This will keep the tank just a little cleaner. The barbs as the shoaling middle fish to keep the tank active and looking alive. The gourami as the top level single fish who's colorful and is OK to be alone. That's just my taste, though.

I wish you the best of luck and have fun! Post up some pictures when you make some changes, I'd like to see!

Important Note: I'm not recommending you get any of the fish I would stock my own tank with. I don't know your water parameters therefore I can't accurate suggest what to stock your tank with. Just putting my opinion out there.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

Last edited by Termato; 11-17-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Stocking reasoning.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will do Serpae and black skirt tetra and green tiger are going back for either 2 danios and a tiger....
Then i gotta figure out which species to keep out of gold and cherry barbs I am thinking of keeping the cherry barbs and returning the golds the golds I have to take further away to take back to exchange so may be a few days before there taken back

So tank should end up in future soon with

6 tigers (may add 1 or 2 down rd if ok)
6 cherry barbs.
6 zebra danios.

Tank has cleared completly with a dose of cloud remover stuff and old filter removed and new one added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151117_140231_1447804353860.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	546265  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Amd when i make trip to that store for retuening/exchanging the golds im gonna grab amother thing or 2 of moss and add lower where it splits and more on top of ea tree

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode