Introducing AFA tissue culture plants - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)
Introducing AFA tissue culture plants

Dear all,

We are excited to annouce our AFA's own tissue culture plants, there are currently around 40+ varieties of plants available and we are developing more varieties. They come in two sizes, Short and Tall. The taller cup allows more room for taller growing plants to grow and mature and therefore, our tissue culture plants are strong and robust and adapts well into the aquarium. Here is the current list of plants that are available through our website AFA ? Tagged "AFA Tissue Culture Plant" ? Aqua Forest Aquarium and dealers around the country (plants in bold are varieties that are rare and interesting):

Micranthemum umbrosum 'Monte Carlo'
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Mini'
Elatine triandra

Riccia fluitans
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Eleocharis belem
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Micranthemum umbrosum
Pogostemon stellatus 'Dassen'
Pogostemon helferi
Cryptocoryne axelrodi
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne lucens
Staurogyne repens
Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho'
Rotala rotundifolia 'Hra'
Rotala rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Rotala rotundifolia 'Wayanad'
Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'
Myriophyllum sp 'Mini Guyana'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Ludwigia repens 'Super Red'
Cyperus helferi
Echinodorus tenellus
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon deccanensis
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Utricularia graminifolia
Nasaea pedicillata
Ammania sp 'Sulawesi'
Ludwigia arcuata
Eleocharis vivipara
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'

Ludwigia glandulosa
Rotala sp "Pink"
Elatine hydropiper

Cryptocoryne wendetii green

Below are a few pictures that shows the packaging:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquaforest_Aquarium_Plant_Packaging_slide.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	709986

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	710010

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	710018

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	710026

Name:	Photo Nov 19, 6 45 02 PM.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	710042

Name:	Photo Nov 19, 6 49 11 PM.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	710050

Last edited by Aqua Forest Aquarium; 01-21-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: changed mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can attest to these, have used a few different species over the last 6 months and all have grown great. Actually got a shipment of three new cups this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

Wow! Awesome, I might just have to order some....

-DAN

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Algae Grower

This was the only way I was able to pick up some Eleocharis Belem, and it only took me one cup to carpet my 60p knockoff.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ill have to check this out
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'm really not sure where the misconception came from that tissue culture plants, or really emersed grown plants in general melt off when submersed.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi Sean W.,

I think it has a lot to do with both the species and how the emersed/TC plant was grown. Plant leaves have a cuticle layer which helps the plant retain water and not dry out. Plants that grow in water have little to no cuticle layer which ones grown in air have a cuticle layer that become thicker the dryer the conditions in which they are grown. Emersed/TC plants grown in a very high humidity environment have a very thin cuticle layer in the leaves which allows them to transition to submerged growth more readily. are very, very thin and the plant can transition to submerged growth much more easily.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Algae Grower

The list of plants and the tissue cultures is similar to what we get in India. For the past couple of years I am only using TC plants. They work well. As long as you have high light and pressurized CO2, the plants will grow well. Hope to see Bucephalandra TC, they are too expensive to buy right now.

Cheers!!

Preetam

Last edited by Preetam; 04-17-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just got some ET from them. Any idea on how to separate it and plant it? Its not anything like the submersed form, and it's already a hard plant to get established. Not in ideal shape either, but close. If it doesn't work its not because of the condition. It will be because of my tank, and or the species just being difficult to establish. It has a long way to go to get to where it needs to be. It will have to completely switch over. I'm using BDBS. Do you guys think I should put a few balls of Osmocote just barely under the plants? Not hopeful that this will work, but its worth a try. FFS i cant even get S. Repens to grow. Mexican gois didnt like my tank, and neither do any grasses. Going to crank the Co2 up and hope for the best.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayazGouramiz View Post
I just got some ET from them. Any idea on how to separate it and plant it? Its not anything like the submersed form, and it's already a hard plant to get established. Not in ideal shape either, but close. If it doesn't work its not because of the condition. It will be because of my tank, and or the species just being difficult to establish. It has a long way to go to get to where it needs to be. It will have to completely switch over. I'm using BDBS. Do you guys think I should put a few balls of Osmocote just barely under the plants? Not hopeful that this will work, but its worth a try. FFS i cant even get S. Repens to grow. Mexican gois didnt like my tank, and neither do any grasses. Going to crank the Co2 up and hope for the best.
So it turns out that what Aqua Forest is selling as ET is actually Pearl Weed. Not sure if its intentional or not but either way I'm rather disappointed. I started to wonder why my ET was doing so well even without co2, from neglect. Then the plant reached upwards of 12+inches... Did some research and sure enough its not Elatine Triandra its Pearl Weed................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
They should refund or replace.... email them. They always respond to my emails very quickly.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

Has anyone purchased their tissue culture Ludwigia repens 'Super Red'
? It comes green and I'm concerned it might not ever turn red even under the proper conditions. Should I just buy clippings that are already red instead?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
Has anyone purchased their tissue culture Ludwigia repens 'Super Red'

? It comes green and I'm concerned it might not ever turn red even under the proper conditions. Should I just buy clippings that are already red instead?

High light will make it red along with co2. I hear extra iron makes it pop too. Emeresed form of this plant is green which is why it comes green since it is growing that way. Submersed will turn red under the right perimeters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RisingSun and RisingSun like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayazGouramiz View Post
So it turns out that what Aqua Forest is selling as ET is actually Pearl Weed. Not sure if its intentional or not but either way I'm rather disappointed. I started to wonder why my ET was doing so well even without co2, from neglect. Then the plant reached upwards of 12+inches... Did some research and sure enough its not Elatine Triandra its Pearl Weed................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

yes that is true , I bought the same and it is pearlweed
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Hi Guys,

For those of you that ordered Elatine Triandra and turned out to be pearl weed, please kindly contact us and we will make full refund. There was a mistake in the production process and we confirm that the plant labeled Elatine Triandra is indeed pearl weed. We apologize for the mistake and will make full refund if you contact us with your order number.

Best Regards,

AFA

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode