The Planted Tank Forum banner

Please Help!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AquaDean 
#1 ·
Well, I have been wanting to start a little nano tank, with plants and ghost shrimp. I have a 2 gallon aquarium with a desk lamp fro lighting. Well, I would have to spend 55 dollars to get the filter, heater, fertilizer aznd substrate. I was thinking instead of spending that much for just those thig I could get a new nano tank with the complete set of everything except heater and substrate.
The tank I am looking at:

Eclipse 3 gallon aquarium- $44.99
Includes:Bio wheel filter, Hood with light, and seamless tank.

Deco Kit - $47.99
Includes: 3 gal. acrylic aquarium, Rapids power filter, 18 W light with 50/50 14000* K actinic and 7400* daylight lamp.

Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit- $41.99
Includes: 3 gal. aquarium, fluorescent Clamp on light with 9 W 50/50 lamp and remote ballast, 40 gph Pico filter,

So which one do you think? What heater for it? What substrate?

Thanks,
Rick

See less See more
#3 ·
I've only had experience with Eclipses, and the smallest Eclipse I've tried is a 5 gallon. I really like the Eclipse system because I've had excellent growth for plants and the filtration is very good for the size of tank. Eclipses have hoods, though, and so they aren't good for emersed plants. So if you want plants to grow out of your tank, you might not want a hood.

One thing to consider is the lighting: For freshwater plants you probably don't want a 50/50 or actinic light. The Eclipse tanks are made for freshwater tanks, some of the others seem to be more for saltwater.

In Canada, most of the tanks you list are hard to find in my area. The Deco tank is $94 online here. So, you're pretty lucky that all of these tanks are that affordable for you!

#4 ·
I would not get an eclipse, its acrylic and scratches really easily. If i were you i would pick up a 2.5 or 5 gallon standard AGA tank for 10-15 bux, then get a Red sea nano filter depending on what size tank you get, that should be 10-15 bux also. You can find a lamp at walmart to clip on the back for 5-7 then get a CLF bulb which shouldnt cost more than 2-3 dollars.

Also if your getting a heater id go with the whisper one its small and would fit nicely in a 2.5 or 5 gal tank.

hope this helps.

#6 ·
I would not get an eclipse, its acrylic and scratches really easily. If i were you i would pick up a 2.5 or 5 gallon standard AGA tank for 10-15 bux, then get a Red sea nano filter depending on what size tank you get, that should be 10-15 bux also. You can find a lamp at walmart to clip on the back for 5-7 then get a CLF bulb which shouldnt cost more than 2-3 dollars.

Also if your getting a heater id go with the whisper one its small and would fit nicely in a 2.5 or 5 gal tank.

hope this helps.
I think I might take this advice,
Thanks
Rick

#8 ·
If it had to be one of those three tanks I'd go for the Pico.
If you are open to other suggestions I'd go for one of the Mr. Aqua tanks from Marine Depot. Either the 3 gallon bow front or the 7.5 gallon cube.

For any of these the small HOB filters that come with them are pretty much worthless. They don't offer enough biological area. So I'd go with either the Aquaclear 20 for a HOB filter or the ZooMed 501 mini canister filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.