The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Best substrate for Fish and Plants?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:19 AM
MWBradshaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
From what I read Flourite is a great substrate for aquariums. I bought two bags of the original to put in my 36 G in the next week or so. Everyone can't seem to stress enough how badly you need to rinse it before hand though, and rinse it good. Take the extra time and don't cut corners to minimize your tank clouding up like crazy when you add water (it sounds like it'll cloud a bit regardless). I just grabbed a 5 gallon bucket, dumped half the bag in, grabbed my hose, and turned it on. Making sure to stir it up real good to get all the dust to float to the top and eventually over the rim of the bucket. I also heard from a couple people to let your flourite dry out after rinsing to help cloudiness even more, but I can't yet say if either works, as I haven't assembled my tank yet. But I will be shortly. Best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome