The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate suggestions please!

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  freshestemo412 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

Just hoping to get some advice on choice of substrate. I'm upgrading my current 70L tank to a 175L one, and will be moving across my plants and probably adding some others. The small tank I got as an established set up, and its current substrate is some sort of soil-based one. I currently have low care plants (anubias and amazon swords i think) but may want to expand a bit in the bigger tank. My stock includes loaches and pygmy cories, so I need something fine and soft for them. My aesthetic preference would be dark or black.

Any suggestions that will be nice on the little barb faces, but good for the plants?
Even a good substrate for the plants underneath and fine sand on top?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hello :smile2:

If you do not want red Flourite, there is also black Flourite sand available. I would definitely suggest some form of sand for your bottom dwellers! One thing to note about ADA Amazonia is that it will temporarily leech some ammonia, so I would be very vigilant of your water parameters if you go that route.

Good luck and congrats on your new and improved tank!

Reactions: KRL and myessail
#10 ·
I have used eco-complete and it works great for plants. Not as good as soil substrates but still better than sand.
Eco-complete and Flourite have high CEC so that's why it's recommended over just using sand. It will not breakdown and yes you do need to dose the water column, you need to do that with any substrate unless your substrate is made with organic material like dirt/potting mix. AS you can do without dosing for a while, however, this is all contingent on your use of co2. Without a sufficient amount of carbon, the plants uptake of nutrients will be much slower, and will not exhaust your substrate as quickly. Another factor is your plant selection.

#13 ·
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'll have to look up the cost of ADA here, otherwise I may go with soil-based again. I dont do too much remodelling once the plants are in, so I wont have to worry too much if I end up capping with sand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.