The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 6.6 Gallon Stock T8 VS T2
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Aphotic Phoenix
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
alohamonte - Yeah I usually avoid plastic tanks due to how easy they are to scratch. It's just a shrimp tank for my bedroom though, so it doesn't have to be ascetically perfect. (Which it is very very far from at the moment). I love long tanks because I think "Oh, my critters will have so much space to run about in!", but I've never been good at composing anything panoramic. Such a trade off.

I have a AQ 20 on mine as well. Do you have any issues with the Coralife raising tank temp btw? I have that brand of CFL hood downstairs, but it's too heavy to hang from my ceiling without moving the tank, and runs a bit hot.

ZooTycoonMaster
- Yes I did. I figured at the price it wasn't much of a loss if it wasn't quite up to snuff. Very pleasantly surprised at how lightweight, and cool running the fixture is. Quality wise it's about what you would expect for the price paid. I should also note that my order did not include any instructions...not necessary for the hardware/plugs but would be helpful when bulb changing time comes. XD That being said, there are other sources for them (although I do not know if the others are HO or not). I know I've read of some people spotting them in home improvement stores, and other online retailers selling T2 fixtures as well. Fixture designs and prices vary.

Currently I'm stuck looking for a piece of hardware for the ceiling. Going to use light weight chain for ease of height adjustment, but I need to find a way to get a clip/hook/ring butterflied into the ceiling, or run a track between two beams. Not sure what material the ceiling is made of (old house), but it's pretty strong. (Still one cannot be too careful when hanging electronics over water.) The only piece of the hood that will be load bearing is the top, so that needs to be stiffer/stronger...everything else can be cheap/lightweight wood (even balsa lol). I'll probably test the finished hood/chain weight before I make final decisions on how best to hang the whole deal.

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; 04-15-2010 at 08:19 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome