The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Is this enough filtration ?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM
AbbeysDad
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's generally regurgitated in the hobby that you need 4x to 10x filter flow in an aquarium filter. I've seen some suggest even more. It's a MYTH!

If you think about it logically, good filtration is about how well we filter water, not how much water we push around through a box. If you were to filter every drop really well, say twice per hour, I'll bet you'd have crystal clear water.

So what's the point of using coarse media and pumping lots of water through it? And adding another filter just pushes more dirty water around faster. Might better pump less and filter more!.....Right???

Then there's circulation...it's true that you want good circulation throughout the planted tank as it breaks up any potential thermal gradients and ensures nutrient distribution. However, it doesn't need to be a torrent of turbulent water! Besides, swimming fish create great circulation.
There are some planted tanks that merely have a sponge filter and some with no filter at all.

On my 60g, I'm using two Aquaclear 70 HOB's with AC50 impellers both loaded with sponge material and polyester fiber - both set to low flow. Seems to work just fine.

I would think you could manage a 65g with a single canister filter, but each to his/her own.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome