The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 5g Aquascape help
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
efunk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 5g Aquascape help

Hey guys, so long story short, I have zero skill with planting plants in good locations. My tank looks like something at a pet store where people pick their plants and take them home.

I just got a bunch of stem plants from a guy on kijiji, and I've never actually planted plants that don't already have a solid root system. I took the leaves off the bottoms and nicked a little of the stem itself in the hopes that will help it with new growth? Any advice on them is appreciated. I think the ones I have are water sprite (left), ludwigia (mid) and then something else on the right in front of my amazon sword. I have some anubias, several crypts, and then that other weird long-leaf plant in the front right.

Bottom line, I need serious advice on how to properly aquascape. If anyone has some ideas could they lay them on me? I want to make a nice tank for a betta, (because that's really all I can have in a tank this size, I believe. Though if ya'll have successfully kept anything else HAPPILY in a 5g, please let me know.)

I realize a lot of the roots are out of the substrate, I've only got about an inch of it in there. I've got more waiting to go in after I decide on permanent plant placement.

Also, and sorry if I'm asking a lot, I have a lot of stems left over and I wondered how I can care for them? I've got a bucket I could put them in, but I have no idea if the natural light coming in my window will be enough for them and I don't have another light. If there isn't a way to care for them I'll just give them away to someone who can, but ideally I'd like to grow them just in case, or to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2134.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	784226  

5g (eventually!) planted.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome