The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My first attempt at setting up a shrimp tank
View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
lahornby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shopping List for tomorrow's trip to petsmart and/or petco:
More plants
TDS meter
Master, KH, GH freshwater tests. (I know they carry API brand, but is there a better brand I should look for?)

Below is a pic (If I did it right) of my 2 dead shrimp with a quarter for size comparison. These were actually ghost shrimp that recently died in horribly failed diy closed ecosystem that me n the kiddos read about on the internet. Is it to late to change my cycling process? My ammonia is still at 1.0ppm. 0ppm for no2 and no3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170420_114636.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	748665

My petco store: It was very nice when it first arrived. Now, 10+ years? later, it's a run down dirty dusty place with 1 or sometimes 2 cars in the parking lot on a good day. Not much old livestock goes out, so I'm assuming that's why not much new livestock comes in. I have never seen any shrimp other than ghost shrimp there. Even their plant selection is sickly looking from growing under those weak stock lights for so long. BUT, now that you mention it, they used to order me whatever I wanted (within their capabilities) years ago when i did saltwater. That might be something I will have to see if it's still available.

Ghost Shrimp: I was thinking I should try 1, but i also read they can be mean to to neo's. Will I be able to catch him if he is, assuming there will be more plants in the aquarium? I'm going to be adding some taller plants to back for sure.

And a side note: I have found a seller here from the earlier links for the dream blue velvet shrimp that is breeding them in his own tank. After talking to him, I feel quite confident about buying from him. (I'm starting to feel excited about them again!) Extra bonus, significantly cheaper from him including free shipping. XD

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome