The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 4.12 Gallons, "The Missing Link"
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
puriance
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Update #1 - Curse of the Black Water

It looks kind of like an elongated skull.

Anyhow, my silicone job was top notch and I got off all of the excess the night before, so I didn't have to go over it again today. It looks really cool in natural light, and I'm pretty sure it is Malaysian driftwood. There will be a slight tint to the water, but I will be making a charcoal filter with purigen as the media once I have some time on my hands, so I am not too concerned.

From here I washed my lava rocks:

Got some mesh laundry bags from the dollar store, and put the rocks inside. I placed them as a small brace at the bottom of the driftwood because that is where most of the weight will be.

Next I put in a small layer of dirt, then sprayed it down with a water bottle treated with prime, to clean the sides of the tank, as well as ensure I covered up the bag and settled on the dirt. Just enough water that it was soaked and barely start to pool.

Next I capped the soil with pool filter sand, using a small cup so I could have greater control of the flow, rather than holding a 20 lb bag, and ruining it all. I brushed the excess sand away with handy dandy paintbrushes and leveled the sand with my scaping spatula, and wet it all down again to promote settling.

Then I started planting:

By this point it had started raining so I finished my planting inside:

In between this shot and the next one, I had gone and moved the stereo from my desk to replace it with the tank. I tried putting some stuff away, treated some water, and covered the scape with a sliced open plastic bag so it wouldn't disturb the scape to have water poured in.

And then, I turned the filter on.

Now the thing with the Hagen Elite internal filter is the output of water is movable, and it is also adjustable in terms of flow. When I put the sponge in, not only did I replace the limiter backwards, I also pointed it at the driftwood that was planted with s repens... and dirt.

It was my 20 gallon tank all over again.

Yeah. I ain't havin' none of that.

So I drained it, and refilled it. Re positioned the filter and the heater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

Last edited by puriance; 03-30-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome