The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - HELP!! Huge random ammonia spike.
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Attackturtle
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wading_in View Post
Hey

I actually just read this article today from "aquariumadvice.com"

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

I don't think you are in any dire straits Read From H) down and I think you will find your answers there
H is at the start. Im week 5/6. I had my ammonia spike and drop and just finished my nitrite spike and drop. It is a second ammonia spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Prime doesn't get rid of ammonia it changes the chemical makeup by binding molecules to make it less toxic for a period of time. I don't remember the exact process at the moment. I believe an ammonia test will show both the free (toxic) and bound (less toxic) ammonia.
It sounds to me 1 of 2 things are happening.
1. you are adding to much ammonia for the size of the colony of bacteria
2. you do not have enough bio media to support a large enough colony to convert the amount of ammonia.

both equate to the same thing, you do not have enough bacteria to convert all of the ammonia to nitrate.

Dan

Something bad happened. I changed the water and added enough to register between 1-2ppm 24 hours ago. As of now, no change so it looks like something killed my ammonia fixing bacteria while my nitrite fixing bacteria were growing. Very strange. The only variable other than adding ammonia was temperature. I don't think I added too much ammonia. We had a hard freeze a couple weeks ago. It didn't freeze in my garage but Im sure it was in the 40's so I expect that did it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome