40G Breeder Planted Ideas & Help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carseatdust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 40G Breeder Planted Ideas & Help

Hi guys I am new to this forum and I recently got a 40-gallon breeder, I've already put one bag of 20lb Eco-Complete (black) and lightly topped it and surrounded the middle formation I made with the Eco-Complete with Imagitarium black small gravel (20lbs). I am going to be having a Fluval 307 Performance Canister Filter with no CO2 system and plan on just doing liquid ferts. by Co-Op and some Seachem Excel either every day or every other day. I am trying to decide on lighting equipment as well as the type of plants to get for a medium to low light setup.

At the moment I am debating on getting the Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EGNF3G44&psc=1)
or getting the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED KLC Aquarium LED Light (https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-KL-C36...AS4HGYY225AFED)

For stocking, I am going to have 2 Angels, 6 cory cats, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 viper shrimp, 7 black skirt tetras, and 12 neon tetras. (*Note, the smaller fish like the tetras and cory cats and shrimp are/may eventually go into a 20-gallon tank I have but to set up.) I also plan on adding about 6 dwarf neon rainbowfish as well. (Would adding a pleco be too much too?)

What do you guys think about plant stocking and the lighting ideas?
I am looking to have a thick background plant that roots and some foreground to front plants, I also have a little bit of driftwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 04:48 PM

Personally I like the Planted+ more.
For stocking, Make sure to have lots of cover and line of sight blocks. For cover for the shrimp and smaller fish, go with moss or things that grow low and compact such as anubias. For line of sight blocks, I like driftwood and broad leaf java fern. This will prevent your angles and rams from eating shrimp and minimise aggression.
The pleco(s) would be fine with some driftwood.
For plants, I would start with easy plants like anubias and java ferns tucked between a rock structure, building up to a ledge with easy stem plants.
Good luck and send pics!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

That's a very diverse community of fish, but I will be pushing the tank's capacity and you will likely have some compatibility issues.

If you are thinking that the smaller fish (cory cats, neon tetras, shrimp, even black skirt tetras) will go in another tank, then can you wait until that tank is set up and not introduce them in this tank in the first place? That would save running the risk that they'd get harassed/eaten by the angels or rams, and the stress of having to net them from the 40g.

Then you could set up the 40g with plants to suit the larger fish--angels, rams, dwarf rainbows--with line of sight breaks as a habitat feature rather than a necessary safety barrier.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 05:08 AM
Algae Grower

I agree, that stocking is very diverse and pushing it temperature and temperament wise. I would decide between pair of angels OR pair of rams.. 2 schools of tetras would be fine, and a school of coreys(make sure substrate is okay for them).

For plants any of the ones listed above would be great. Along with swords, crypts, vals, and sag. That gives a range of height from front to back in the tank. Planted+ is definitely the better light
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Also remember that rams like warmer temps than other fish, which could stress them. Certain corries and plecos tend to like cooler temps so be sure to check on that also.

RAOK Club #55

Tags
40 gallon breeder, ideas, lighting, planted, stocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode