who is keeping snail free tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
who is keeping snail free tanks?

I tried a low tech planted tank without snails. (shrimp only)
It didn't work well.
Now I have a few mystery snails and they finally eat the algae on the leaved, sadly they also ate the s.repens. (didn't hurt any other plant, but literally ate all the s.repens in every corner).

Who is keeping snail-free tanks? how do you maintain it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I moved from a low tech tank to high tech around labor day and QUICKLY got infested by pond and bladder snails. I'm guessing they were eggs on plants as I was quite careful rinsing stuff. I'm ok with the snails, they do a lot of cleaning, and are a natural part of such an ecosystem. I can see folks thinking them unsightly depending on tastes.

Over-feeding and/or lots of algae makes their population explode. I keep them under control with manual removal. If I think they've started to overpopulate I turkey baster 30-50 of them out, rinse repeat each day until I feel better. I put thick airline tube on end my basters so they can reach and also press/seal against the glass (due to being soft). It takes all but 5-10 minutes to get out many more than you think you could.

But they breed fast. I have shrimp, so no chemical options (probably would not do that anyway).

There are lots of clever traps that you can do to speed it up.

As far as eating your plants. I have never seen snails damage healthy plants, and I have always had a large snail load. Actually I don't see them damaging unhealthy plants. They do take out dying and decaying plants, that died of other causes (melted, failed to thrive, damaged, ...). And I'm happy they do! While I keep my tanks tidy, they aren't squeaky clean like other folks. So I don't have the experience of what happens if they have no food source at all, if that is even possible. There is always biofilm for them to eat, on everything, and a lack of food would cause them to breed at a very low rate so they wouldn't turn into a large plant murdering hoard.

You may want to re-eval to see if maybe the s.repens could have been dying from other causes.

I'm going to watch this thread as I would like to know what other people do to remove them.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

its tissue culture s repens so probably more gentle

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode