Added bioload causing crypt melt? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Added bioload causing crypt melt?

About a week and a half ago I had a smaller school of vietnamese minnows to my (heavily) planted nano tank. This tank has been running for almost three years. I've had very few problems with it. Recently, its only fish-inhabitant has been one (very) old and lonely tetra. A couple of days after adding the new fish to the tank several of my crypts started melting... is it possible that the added bioload could have cause the crypts melting? It's not a huge problem since my crypts always tend to grow back after some time - but is it a possible cause for the melting?

Current plants: Anubias Barteri, Anubias b. var. nana, Anubias b. var. nana "mini mini", Anubias b. var. nana "mini", Anubias b. var. nana "Paxing", Anubias sp. "petite", Anubias white, Anubias "Pangolino", Cryptocoryne lucens, C. balansae, C. becketii, C. Tropica, Microsorium pteropus, Microsorum pteropus "narrow", Bolbitis heudelotii, Bucephalandra, Limnobium/Frog bit, Echinodorus bleheri, Salvinia
Current critters: Ember Tetra, Vietnamese Minnow, Amanos, Tangerine tigers, Ramshorns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Before being able to judge how much effect the fish "may" have had, there is quite a bit information missing. Any change in the overall water parameters will depend on how many new fish as well as how large the tank. The definition of "smaller group" is not clear as some might think of 3, while others may think 20!
The effect of three new fish in 10 gallons will be much greater than in 55 gallons.
But all that aside, I would not think melting of plants would be nearly as obviously caused by a sudden increase in bio load as fish death or disease! Any sudden increase in ammonia seems to effect fish far more than plants.
Perhaps other changes might be to blame? Anything like a pretty heavy cleaning or rearrangement that would disrupt the plants, even though it did not seem like much change? Any changes in fert dosing or CO2 use? Any light or schedule changes?
I might try to look for other causes.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long have been it since you planted the crypts in this tank? Were they moved recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 09:55 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've had Crypts melt from just changing out T5 lightbulbs. That is one plant that does not do well with change. I'd be surprised that in a 3 year old mature tank, that the addition of a presumably small mass of fish (and the nutrient bumps that come along with that) would be enough to do so, though. I have Cryptocorynes in every tank I own, and sometimes change the fauna loads pretty drastically. That's about the only way I've never (yet!) experienced melt though.
Leeatl likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
cryptocoryne, low tech, melting plants, minnow, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode