Fast growers really needed during cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fast growers really needed during cycle?

Hi all!

I'm planning to set-up a 5 gallon caridina shrimp tank (soil, RO water, GH+, no C02). For this I want to keep it rather simple in terms of plants: some mosses, bucephalandra, anubias (petite) etc..

Usually I add some fast-growers/floaters during cycle since I always have been thought these reduce algae growth by taking up excessive nutrients.

However, in this set-up with slow growing plants (reduced light) and thus little fertilizer needed, will it still be needed to add fast-growers? I know that in the end it's all about the balance, but what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like to add salvinia (salvinia minima I think) to my shrimp tanks. Helps to soak up excess nutrients and shades the tank nicely, hence I think helps to settle the tank and hopefully find the balance. Then, once the shrimp go in, they love it. Or really easy to remove if no longer needed. I still fertilise my shrimp tanks though even with only the salvinia and Christmas moss in them; not super heavy, but not light either (at about 2x Seachem 'beginner' dose).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:16 PM
Algae Grower

do you need to cycle it at all for a few shrimp i wonder?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

"Cycling" for a shrimp tank is more about giving the tank time to mature, parameters to stabilise, soil to stop leaching excess ammonia / fert's into the water column andgrowing a biofilm to sustain the shrimp than it is about growing the biofilter as per a fish tank. The two go hand in hand though; properly maturing the tank ready to accept shrimp typically takes much longer than cycling the bio-filter, so usually if the tank is mature, the biofilter has long since been ready.
pauld738 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Speaking of maturing before introducing shrimp - what’s the conventional wisdom? 1 month? More or less?

I added a few Amanos to my newly setup tanks thinking they wouldn’t survive but appear to be doing fine. I want to add RCS to get the colonies going before adding any other fauna but wondering how much longer I should wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode