2Likes
  • 2 Post By pgallagher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking advice for 75 gallon

I’m picking up a new 75 gallon tank soon, 48” length. I’m planning on a no co2 Barr method tank. I know for certain I want to have 3 pair of Apistos for the low level. I also want to have 1 or 2 schools of small fish (1” or so) for the top. What would be a good number of schooling fish to plan for in order to not overdo the bioload. Might sneak in two angelfish as well

Thanks
Ridley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Algae Grower

I haven't been doing planted tanks for very long but I can absolutely say that my small school of Rummeynose Tetras has been my favorite and I would recommend them to everyone!!! They are really pretty, shoal up together nicely, and are completely peaceful. Their bright red nose and checkered tails really pop against the plants too.

Plus, and I can't stress this enough, they are an amazing indicator if your water parameters are getting out of whack. If the water quality starts to diminish their bright red nose will start to fade.

Definitely check them out! https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/rummy-nose-tetra/
All4Fish and lamyers3 like this.

A step or two above a beginner with nothing but optimism and excitement to learn all that I can!

Full write up on my set up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my previous 75 gallon, I had cardinal tetras. Love the colors which show up nicely at night and in heavily planted tanks. They also school. I got tank bred from aquatic arts and never lost one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Rummy Nose tetra is a good suggestion and in my case worked well with an angelfish and cories. They tended to stay mid to lower level, but the angel stayed in the top half. If you had only this one school, I'd suggest 15-20 of them to start.

One of the pencilfish species is another option that may swim a little higher but I'm not sure about them with the angels - they're a very slim fish. They swim a little higher than the rummy nose. Look at nannostomus beckfordi, eques, or marginatus.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Are you looking for something that stays permanently at the top of the aquarium? If so maybe some marble hatchet fish or glass catfish, although a bit plain but def unique for the very top? Dwarf Pencilfish is also a great upper-level fish. Cochu's Blue Tetra is also worth checking out if you're looking for a tetra that isn't seen very often.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you wanted to choose nano-fish ( fish under an inch) then you could easily stock 50. The biggest impact would come from 1 type as they would school more in unison.
A thing to consider, however, -- Angels have been known to predate on smaller fish. I would recommend, if you want Angels, to stock with fish that get at least 2 inches.

But, if want to take your chances with the angels and nano-fish, you could stock with : Ember tetra, Green Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon simulans), Black neon ( app.1.5 inches), Ruby tetra, Microdevario kubotai,- to name a few...

Personally, I would go for fish around 2 inches with Angels: Rummy-nose, Cardinal, or Emperor tetra.

My preference- what I would put in this tank with angels and apistos? - 30- 40 Hyphessobrycon pyrrhonotus "Flame-back Bleeding Heart Tetra." These fish get about 2 inches, have a gorgeous red coloration, and thrive in planted tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I understand pencilfish are popular, but I’m interested in a better schooling formation, and from what I’ve seen online, they don’t seem to do much of that.

I’ll check out those tetra suggestions, I think it would be sweet to have 50 in there doing their thing.

Are harlequin Rasboras good schoolers, and can they handle the warmer water that Apistos need?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 2 Angels , 5 Black Phantom Tetras , 5 White Skirt Tetras , 7 Black Neon Tetras , Cory Catfish , ~20 Platys and a lot of Malaysian Trumpet snails in my 75 , although mine is a custom acrylic tank that is 5 foot long , but 75 gals is 75 gals . Everyone gets along great . I have the Angels cause I love them and they keep the Platy population in check . I have a sump on this tank so I can still add some more . I just let the Play fry that make it through do that...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:43 AM

Silver tip tetras are AWESOME schoolers! My next apartment I plan on getting a 75 gallon and having a massive school of silvertips in a planted tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:31 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeehawkenFish View Post
Silver tip tetras are AWESOME schoolers! My next apartment I plan on getting a 75 gallon and having a massive school of silvertips in a planted tank.
I am in the same position. I am moving to a 72 gallon(48") tank in a few weeks.

I have a small group of silver tips in my 25 gallon. Three are beautiful and three are very dull colored. They bully each other a lot. I will probably return them to the LFS when I do the transfer.

I used to have rummy nose in a previous 75G and like them a lot. I thought about getting a large group for my new tank but I understand that they may eat small shrimp which I now have a lot of.

I am now looking at harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras for my big school.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode