• 1 Post By Bunsen Honeydew
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rid

PTrader: (0/0%)
24" deep cube question

Hey Everyone,

I've begun researching tank sizes in anticipation of getting back into the hobby after 20 years.

I believe i'm going to attempt a low tech, tom barr style setup with heavy planting and a mix of apistos, schoolling fish and algae eaters.

The tank i'm looking at hard is a 60 gallon cube, which is 24" deep. has anyone had luck with a tank this deep, or is a shallower, 18" deep tank way better for a Low light, no CO2 setup.

Thanks
Ridley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
With the right lighting, the depth of the tank should not matter. What's high light in an 18" tank might be medium in the 24" tank. Just do some research on lighting and par levels at the depths you're looking to use.

Check this journal out. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...igh-light.html

It's a low tech dream!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 09-03-2020 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Link
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:15 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have a pair of 24" cubes and love the look of them in my home, no regrets but there are some challenges with deep tanks, ranging from lighting to circulation. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-makeover.html Here's my tank journal on my two, which have gone through some CO2 and lighting changes over the years.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Rid

thank you both!
Ridley
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My current tank is 30" tall and the one before that was 37". At 37", I had problems with getting enough light to the bottom without getting algae at the top and front glass. 24" is a fairly manageable depth for a low tech tank in my experience.

Edited to add that my first tank when I got back into the hobby after a bit more than a decade away was a 24" tall 92 gallon corner tank. I lit that with a single 36" Beamswork DA and didn't have any trouble growing plants. They got thick enough that when I started my 280 gallon tank (72x24x37), I was able to move the plants from the 92 and not have the tank feel empty.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 09-04-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a 60 inch cube myself-- not really a tank for schooling fish. Ive had several different schooling fish in this tank over the last 10 years. Most will go to the bottom of tank where they feel safer. The best fish for a tank like this would be a pair of discus or Angels. I do have Rummy nose in tank, but like I said, they go to bottom of tank as did blue neons, cardinals, and green neons.
At one point several years ago I had about 10 oto's in tank. The otos made for some lively movement in tank- especially in the morning and evening.

The apistos and algae eaters will both work out great.

The only plant that has actually grown well for me in this tank (low-tech) is valisneria which I got from @Blue Ridge Reef about 6 months ago. But, Im not too good with aquarium plants.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

Amy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Rid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have a 60 inch cube myself-- not really a tank for schooling fish. Ive had several different schooling fish in this tank over the last 10 years. Most will go to the bottom of tank where they feel safer. The best fish for a tank like this would be a pair of discus or Angels. I do have Rummy nose in tank, but like I said, they go to bottom of tank as did blue neons, cardinals, and green neons.
At one point several years ago I had about 10 oto's in tank. The otos made for some lively movement in tank- especially in the morning and evening.

The apistos and algae eaters will both work out great.

The only plant that has actually grown well for me in this tank (low-tech) is valisneria which I got from @Blue Ridge Reef about 6 months ago. But, Im not too good with aquarium plants.
Thanks for the reply. I would love to keep discus, but I don’t have the time for multiple water charges per week. Also with the Tom Barr method I’m trying to minimize water changes/co2 spikes altogether

What would be a minimum tank length To keep a group of 15 or 20 small scooling fish happy?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would love to keep discus, but I donít have the time for multiple water charges per week. Also with the Tom Barr method Iím trying to minimize water changes/co2 spikes altogether

What would be a minimum tank length To keep a group of 15 or 20 small scooling fish happy?

This is only my experience with these fish in my own tank and conditions can often be different in aquariums. I have always had discus fish with them. It could be that the size difference between the discus and smaller fish made the tetras go to bottom of tank for cover.

You might try a tetra that you are partial to and see how it works out.

Or, you could try micro-fish like the smaller rasbora species or danios that need much less space.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode