Planted Aquarium Help + Lights (Long post) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Aquarium Help + Lights (Long post)

Hey all,

LONG POST WARNING. Skip ahead to last paragraph for the question.

I REALLY suck at plant keeping. It's no different with aquatic plants apparently. I have a question on lighting primarily, and currently, this is my set-up:

Tank: Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit - 5 Gallon
(the lights on the tank hood/lid have stopped working, and I need a new light replacement)

Plants:
1. Repens - Staurogyne Repens (This plant is doing the best in my tank, which is to say it is still green, and was growing when I had light - It has since stopped growing, but at lease is still green)
2. Java Fern - Windelov Java Fern (This plant is latched to my driftwood in the tank, Over 50% of the leaves are now fully black...... Yes, I suck. Also, it has had a massive fungus outbreak of some sort which covers its roots and I had read it would 'clear up' in time (it came on during the time I was cycling the tank, of which I used fish food... I would use a different method probably, but that was the method I had used to cycle, being new and all, so I can't take it back now, lolol)
3. Amazon Sword (this plant was slowly 'melting' (I think) during the nitrogen cycle. As the months have gone by, I have cut off the fully clear/translucent leaves - No new leaves have grown in it's place, and I have one leaf left which is about 85% clear/translucent......)

Decorations:
1 driftwood piece (medium size), 1 catappa leaf, 2 stick driftwood pieces (tiny), 3 marimo moss balls (which seem to be in good condition still, but I just added those 2.5 weeks ago), 3 rocks, 1 betta log

Animals:
1 male betta fish (seems healthy, he swims around, seems curious, active, no fin biting, had him for about 1.5 months now)

1 amano shrimp (I thought he was dead but apparently he's been hiding, and I saw him for the first time today, so I guess he's okay...... I got him about 2.5 weeks ago)

The tank is heated with a small heater, and the tank is filtered with the filter that came with the tank kit.

While I would love to learn if I can improve my plants, I think the first step I need to do is GET A REPLACEMENT LIGHT. The one that came with my kit stopped working, so I did buy a light just today, but I... don't like it. For reference, I bought this: https://www.chewy.com/glofish-color-...-led/dp/196224

It proclaimed "4 light modes". Notice my quotes, because their 'white light' consists of a single small white LED and SIX BLUE LEDs lit at the same time - it's blue. It's not white. Their blue light mode just turns off that one single white light and makes it... more blue. I wanted a WHITE light and I was duped! DUPED!

I'm going to have to return it, but the reason I got it is because the other lights seemed like they wouldn't work with my tank lid (they were screw-in lights of some sort, which doesn't apply to my tank lid.

I miss my white light (for reference, it's been about 1-1.5 weeks since the light has gone out, so my plants are not getting nearly as much as they were, which I think is the reason the java fern has taken a deep nose-dive in quality (the black leaves came on suddenly during this past week). But at the same time, they are supposed to be low-light plants, so it could be something else. I am REALLY bad at keeping plants, and the tanks I see here are lovely. Sorry if it seems like I'm a plant-killer . I uh... sort of am, but not on purpose. (Also, I have not added new plants since the beginning of the tank set-up 3 months ago, because I read that shrimp can be sensitive to that sort of thing, so I didn't want to overwhelm it until it got adjusted - not sure if that might be my best bet once I get lighting set?).

TLDR;

Long story short, I am looking for a good light (WHITE! PLEASE!) that will work with the Top Fin Essentials 5 gallon tank lid without too much additional cost (I just feel safer having a lid for my tank). I spent $40 on that one light I'm going to return - Ideally, I'd spend less than that but under $50 would be good, too. If that's not possible, I'm open to other options - I just don't know much about lighting, and it seemed my only choices were that type of light or a clip on light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Algae Grower

Look for something like this
https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Pre...930165&sr=8-14

RGB leds emit a white light using only red, green, and blue diodes. It will have the spectrum your plants need and bring out the colors in your fish/plants/decorations as well. The light in the link is fully adjustable for spectrum and intensity.

75g...medium tech...?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link, but no one in reviews is using it for fish tank?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode