Transitioning from hi-tech to lo-tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Transitioning from hi-tech to lo-tech

I recently rescaped my tank with all low-tech plants -- swords, anubias, crypts, moss, bolbitis, lotus plants, etc.

A lot of these plants are ones I kept from a more hi-tech era in my aquarium.

But I'm looking for things to be a little more low maintenance and trying to reduce the overall moving parts I have in my system and the amount i spend on upkeep.

To this end, I am thinking of weaning the tank off of CO2. The tank is 125 gallons and has a decent amount of surface agitation between the sump, overflows and returns.

So my question -- will discontinuing CO2 cause massive melt of already established plants used to it? Should I gradually wean them off?

I already know I'll need to adjust all other things -- ferts, lights, etc. in response to slower growth -- and that the Ph will swing upwards a tad.

Anyone does this and can lend some experience or advice? Will this cause more or different algae challenges i should be aware of?

I can stay on CO2, but if it's not a requirement, I'd like to stop using it until I'm ready to go back to more demanding plants.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I just stopped and no issues. Tank is better in fact, no more BBA. I actually had to increase light. Pennywort was fine at 40% intensity+CO2 and dwindling away without CO2. Increased lighting to 60% and it is a happy weed again. Initially I dropped fertilizing to low tech EI but have had to double it - gotta keep the pennywort happy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the only reason to do this is that you might not have time for regular tank maintenance, I would suggest that you reduce the lights, ferts and CO2, but continue using all of them. For the past two years, i'm not at home for months due to work and do maintenance once every 4-5 months when I visit. Having everything in place, i'm sure I can restart where i left off once I am back for good.
All the ferns, crypts, Mosses and Anubia are good. I removed all of the stem plants.

-Preeths

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode