Cause of my green spot algae - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeatl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cause of my green spot algae

Hi folks,
I've been trying to work out the root cause of the gsa I get building up on my glass and occasionally leaves. I've got a 200L low tech moderately planted tank with mainly slow growers. I've got a 15w light on for 7 hours a day. My tap water parameters are hard, with zero nitrates and about 5ppm phosphates. I dose excel for a CO2 substitute and easy life for micronutrients. After 2 weeks without a water change my phosphates and nitrates are still comparable to the tap water.

From the other posts I've found on gsa, a low phosphate is often the culprit - I was wondering if a low nitrate could also contribute to it?
Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know if it causes gsa , but low or no nitrates are not good in a planted tank . Mine stay around 20ppm . I don't add any besides what Easy Green has , and I have floating plants and Pothos growing out of the tank .
Deanna likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think that you have a macro nutrient problem. I believe that the Easy Life has K (potassium) in it, am I right? If not, you will need to add K. As @Leeatl implied, if your tap has no NO3 and your fauna aren't contributing enough, you need to add NO3 as well. It would also be helpful to know what your GH reading is in the tank, to be sure that you have enough Ca and Mg. Since your PO4 is high, for a low-tech setup (due to your tap), you shouldn't need any additional PO4. Ensuring sufficient NO3 and K (I'm assuming your GH is in a good spot) may be enough to help with plant health and GSA.

Very low PO4 (which is not your case) is often a cause of GSA. However, a low NO3:PO4 ratio can also be a contributor. NO3 should be higher than PO4. I would suggest bringing your NO3 up to about 10ppm.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Ah ok thanks guys. Yeah easy has K in, I'll get hold of some nitrogen to top up with. GH is about 14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode