Want to create Walstad Betta 6gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Angella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Want to create Walstad Betta 6gallon

So I've been doing a lot of research and my plan is to have a 6gal walstad betta tank.
Average temp inside is 70-75 F so I am planning on no heater... Thinking no filter but I will see how the top does with biofilm... If I end up getting one for water movement, does anyone have a low cost and SILENT recommendation?

I want to get the Aqueon Cube from Petco for $60. It has a leveling mat and partial glass lid but nothing else. The cube is 11.2x11.2x11.4, approximately.
Nicrew light from amazon, the classic one 12" size... From my research the best I can gather is there will be 60-80 par at substrate level....
Plan to do 5 hours on 4 off 5 on.

Any plant recommendations appreciated! I'm going to have a piece of spidery driftwood in the tank I believe, and I want to have java moss. I know you do fast growing plants first in Walstad and I was thinking frogbit or duckweed (not sure, maybe both?) and Ludwigia Repens "Red" (I've never had this before so fingers crossed).
Later I would like to have the Java Moss and maybe amazon swords or vals? Maybe Java fern?
Someone local has a bunch of stem plants they said they will give me trimmings of when I get this tank set up! Pretty excited about that.

Plan to get the Organic Miracle Grow soil 1-1.5", do the recommended processing of it, and I would *like* to cap it with a black sand but I have red that can be more anaerobic if you aren't careful... and with my intentions of no filter I may get some medium black or brown gravel and do a 1" cap with that.

Water parameters, based on my other tank, are around...
pH 8.2
KH 12-13 / 214.8ppm
GH 15-16 / 268.5ppm

Thinking about having the water be partially distilled water to lower this some...

With my no filter plan I expect to do water changes 50% daily x 7 days
Every 2 days x 7 days
Every 3 days x 7 days

Every 2 days x 7 days

And I plan to feed Omega One super color flakes, NLS Small fish formula pellets, vinegar eels, micro eels, and frozen blood worms, different days of course. I also ordered some cylcops eeze type stuff off amazon that I will portion out and feed some too!

I'll need MTS or Nerites to move the soil, right?
Would like to have something with the betta whether it be shrimps or maybe a small fish, but if that wouldn't be healthy for any party I wouldn't do that.

Any recommendations or things I have missed appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I know absolutely nothing about Walstad style tanks. There are a few people on here that may be able to help.
But, did you realize that Diana Walstad herself is ( I hear) almost daily on another online forum Aquatic Plant Central?

Here is a link:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...pc/el-natural/

She visited us here a few months ago and I was so excited to see her here. But, unfortunately, a few members decided to treat her with disrespect, ruining the potential learning opportunity for current and future members because she didn't come back.
It was a shame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow that is so sad!!!
Thank you for the link and input!
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 AM
fpn
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angella View Post
So I've been doing a lot of research and my plan is to have a 6gal walstad betta tank.
Average temp inside is 70-75 F so I am planning on no heater... Thinking no filter but I will see how the top does with biofilm... If I end up getting one for water movement, does anyone have a low cost and SILENT recommendation?

I want to get the Aqueon Cube from Petco for $60. It has a leveling mat and partial glass lid but nothing else. The cube is 11.2x11.2x11.4, approximately.
Nicrew light from amazon, the classic one 12" size... From my research the best I can gather is there will be 60-80 par at substrate level....
Plan to do 5 hours on 4 off 5 on.

Any plant recommendations appreciated! I'm going to have a piece of spidery driftwood in the tank I believe, and I want to have java moss. I know you do fast growing plants first in Walstad and I was thinking frogbit or duckweed (not sure, maybe both?) and Ludwigia Repens "Red" (I've never had this before so fingers crossed).
Later I would like to have the Java Moss and maybe amazon swords or vals? Maybe Java fern?
Someone local has a bunch of stem plants they said they will give me trimmings of when I get this tank set up! Pretty excited about that.

Plan to get the Organic Miracle Grow soil 1-1.5", do the recommended processing of it, and I would *like* to cap it with a black sand but I have red that can be more anaerobic if you aren't careful... and with my intentions of no filter I may get some medium black or brown gravel and do a 1" cap with that.

Water parameters, based on my other tank, are around...
pH 8.2
KH 12-13 / 214.8ppm
GH 15-16 / 268.5ppm

Thinking about having the water be partially distilled water to lower this some...

With my no filter plan I expect to do water changes 50% daily x 7 days
Every 2 days x 7 days
Every 3 days x 7 days

Every 2 days x 7 days

And I plan to feed Omega One super color flakes, NLS Small fish formula pellets, vinegar eels, micro eels, and frozen blood worms, different days of course. I also ordered some cylcops eeze type stuff off amazon that I will portion out and feed some too!

I'll need MTS or Nerites to move the soil, right?
Would like to have something with the betta whether it be shrimps or maybe a small fish, but if that wouldn't be healthy for any party I wouldn't do that.

Any recommendations or things I have missed appreciated! Thanks!
60 par is probably too much at 10 hours a day - Diana has an updated section on LED lights on her website. Typical walstad tanks are low tech (and light). I would think low light tops out at 30-35 par. So I would dim it.

Unless you have some equipment in the aquarium (e.g. filter) I would expect water temperature to be a few degrees lower.

Most people seem to recommend 80F for bettafish - so leave some space for a heater if the bettafish isn't perky enough.

And my bettafish love to hunt and eat cherry shrimp, and it works out of you have a sense cover. They leave the larger Amano alone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode