The Planted Tank Forum banner

Beginner low tech planted tank!

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  shaye 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

Thought I would post my conversion of a Red Sea max 130 to a planted freshwater.

Had marine tanks all my life and even worked for an aquarium collector back in the day in my time off from work.

Fast forward few more years and now kids are interested in a tank.

So I jumped at it first chance and found a cheap Red Sea on gumtree.

And so the nightmare begins!!!

First up not much chop in the back and so many dramas with water levels and pumps blowing what appeared to be a snow globe into the tank.

So I made a media rack out of Perspex added 4 bags of sea hem matrix, heater, glued Polly pipe extensions on the pumps to prevent suckin water.

Then the light unit blew up so I had to gut the hood and installed a 60cm plant gero AquaOne light!

Cycled the tank for a month or so and have finally just started adding few things slowly over the last couple of months, thanks to mates and pruning their tanks.

Picking up a heap more Anubias and fern off a good mate tomorrow.

Wanting to add more shrimp at some stage.

Current fish are

6 black neon
3 serpae tetra
2 corydorus

Not dosing seachem yet, as want to try balance the bioload and mainly have water column feeder plants!

Thanks

Shaye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi there! I’m new to it as well, just setting things up and starting cycling!

Sounds like you went on quite an adventure so far!

I thought we had it bad, having to return the tank we bought as we discovered hairline fractures on it as we were setting it up lol

Yours looks so lovely. Looking forward to learning with you on your journey!

-L

#11 ·
Right I!!

Sorry for the delay had a lot going on! Well I’ve totally had a massive revamp.

Added co2

Removed crushed coral sand substrate as the algae was killing me.

Added some more filter media and manufactured a few more things out of Perspex for the rear compartment.

Only running 1 circulation pump as have the co2 diffusing in the back also and with both running the tank flow is like a tornado now I have absolutely planted the crap out of it!

Dosing the 2hr aquarists all in one with root tabs!

See how we go in next few months!!

#15 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah it’s coming along great amazed at the difference co2 makes that’s for sure!

Now just chasing some Anubias coffeefolia it’s like bloody hens teeth and some small medium clumps of Java fern and I’m done!!!!

Anyone have any idea or know some willing to part with any? Happy to pay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.