Plants are on the way. What to do once they get here? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants are on the way. What to do once they get here?

So I guess pandemic got us stir crazy so we got a 36 gallon bow front.

I got some sand, dragon stones and this lovely spiderwood root!

Waiting for the plants to arrive from Aquarium co-op!!! I thought they would be here by now but not yet. Hopefully tomorrow!

We got
  • 2x Cryptocoryne Lucens
  • 1x Scarlet Temple
  • 1x Red melon sword
  • 3x Jungle Vallisneria
  • 3x Anubias Nana Petit
  • Javamoss and some slate to attach it to
I also got the bundle of plant fertilizer they sell.

I kind of made impulse buys (although all these were labeled easy on Aquarium Co-Op) and now that Iíve done more research I realized that perhaps I should have chosen some easier plants to start with. But they are on their way so I need help.

I got a light because I read the one that comes with my tank is trash - so the one we have is Finnex Planted + 24/7
But this presents a WHOLE other issue that is likely its separate post with the way my tank is. (Turns out I bought a RIMLESS 36 gallon bowfront..... I can't get in touch with the manufacturer to ask if it structurally safe without the completely horrible hood it comes with... they just keep referring me to the fish guy in the local petsmart :/ ) I might have to figure out how to cut a hole in the solid 1 piece plastic lid to have a real light.

Weíre not going to do CO2... maybe just the stuff you add to the water? It comes as part of the plant care bundle from Aquarium Co-op.

We are doing a fishless cycle but Iíve been waiting for the plants to start (mostly cuz my master test kit is part of the plant order to get me to free shipping)

I know I have to glue the Anubias to stuff to not bury the root. I have perfect places picked out.

But overall I read that itís good to start cycling with plants and they help. Is this right?

But I see A LOT of conflicting info about planting in sand.

I did research on substrates (I've never had sand before only gravel. And I REALLY wanted a light colored substrate. I KNOW I want a lovely school of Cories and basically EVERYTHING says to get them sand (although I have kept them in gravel before just fine) And I found a lot of info saying that sand if fine for planting. But then there is so much that says it is not great. Sigh. Just can't win. This is the conflicting info I mentioned before.
I understand that sand needs to be vacuumed and raked to avoid any gas accumulating. We are prepared to do this.

I'm not changing the substrate at this point. There is 50 lbs of it in there and it looks pretty nice it ranges in depth from 1.5-3 inches depending on where I move it to arrange my hardscape.

Are there special considerations for planting in sand?
I can start cycling, with water conditioner, when the plants arrive?
I am planning to boost it with ammonia. This is ok for the plants?
Do I add fertilizer right away? Or no?
Any tricks to administering that outside of the instructions of the bottles?
Are my plants going to be OK next to filter/heater? - I'm planning to put the Vallisneria to hide the filter intake and the Scarlet Temple to hide the sponge filter but that will be right next to the heater.

I do have a special consideration. The way my apartment is, one of our walls is entirely window and it is perfectly square. So there is NO WAY we can avoid window light (outside of our light curtains) We did make the space for the aquarium as far away from the window as the room allows. But I know for a fact the sunrise still hits this corner (from falling asleep on the couch lol)

So many questions to consider.

I would really prefer not to kill my plants!
So any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hardscape1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	900203  

Tags
advice, beginner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode