Coronavirus killed my Fish, what to do now? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
Can we stop worrying about why they are flushing the lines and help the OP with their tank?

It is my understanding that the process of removing chlorine from a tank by a dechlorinator utilizes oxygen. So if there's a ton of chlorine/chloramine to remove then it can rid the tank of oxygen and cause the fish to suffocate. Shrimp having a smaller oxygen demand were probably not affected.

When I worked at an aquarium the county would send us a notice when they were adding extra chlorine and we would simply not do water changes for the 2 weeks while it occurred, and then continue once it was finished.

I don't think there is anything you need to do to your aquarium, but I would wait until they are finished before doing anymore water changes.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I note two things about this which do seem silly. One is that the OP was six months ago and they are not likely to even care about the discussion at this point!
The second is the idea that there is a "ton" of chlorine in the water.
The total point of having science folks in charge of treatment is to make certain that the levels are carefully controlled. This is done routinely and very carefully and tests are taken at many different points where the water is used. It is not just a job for some dope to dump a bunch in and let it flow! Samples are taken, they are send to state approved labs to be tested for all the things that we need to make water safe to drink and chlorine content is just one of those tests.
If people are really interested in getting a true answer to what work is done on their water, they can do some simple things to find out. One is to look for the Consumer Confidence Report that is required of almost all providers who serve more than a few people.
This is a small snip of what the local Austin report shows for chloramine content during the years test reports. It shows the low, high and maximum amount allowed by state and federal regs.
If you want to see the total report for 2019, it is here:
https://austintexas.gov/sites/defaul...2019_FINAL.pdf
If you want to know what happened in your water during the past year, do a look for the CCR for your supplier and read it!
When people look for the truth, it is easy to find but it is much more common to just spout a bunch a garbage!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chloramine.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	904775  

ChuckM and cl3537 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
this thread has gotten out of hand

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here In Las Vegas they totally dose the water with Chloramines because when it rains our water source gets ridiculous bacteria blooms. This is why i went to a RO system - remineralize it and hook up a 50 foot line to reach all of my aquariums. It seems your only problem is the water- may not need to reinvent the wheel but of course- fish and shrimp love a change in environment as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepoeci View Post
Here In Las Vegas they totally dose the water with Chloramines because when it rains our water source gets ridiculous bacteria blooms. This is why i went to a RO system - remineralize it and hook up a 50 foot line to reach all of my aquariums. It seems your only problem is the water- may not need to reinvent the wheel but of course- fish and shrimp love a change in environment as well.
There are cases where things are not done by the regulations, so it depends on what is meant by "totally dose". If you feel the regs are being broken it is then a simple matter of reporting it to the EPA and let them enforce the rules!
It is a fairly normal process to let the right group know and they do then shut down or fine the supplier if they are breaking the rules.
But it does require the correct public attitude to make sure the political side doesn't get too far off what the regs require as in the Flint, MI case where the state government was inclined to not do their job!
cl3537 likes this.

Tags
cleaning, nitrate, nitrite, shrimp, vacuum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode