The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can't grow anything but anubias and java fern - need ideas!

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mboley 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

We have a 40G tank with community fish, shrimp and snails, and would love to be able to keep a larger variety of plants, but nothing survives in current tank conditions other than java fern and anubias. We have a Grobeam 600 light programmed to come on about 3 hours a day.

The substrate is fluorite and it worked wonderfully for a year, then seemed to run out of nutrients, and the really lush bacopa and Amazon swords withered away and disappeared. We tried root balls, but we lose fish when we use these, and they didn't seem to nourish the plants either.

I'm wondering whether we could pot some root-feeding plants in aquasoil covered by sand, as a way of adding plants that can survive without rescaping the whole tank. We have Thrive and iron but don't use them - we only have time to change the water once a week and I'm worried about adding anything that we can't keep up with. Welcoming any suggestions - we are not sure what steps to take that will keep our critters safe.

#6 ·
The light is your problem, both Anubias and Java Fern will grow happily in low light conditions. They are what I have growing in my black water tank with a covering of floating Amazon Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce.

Increase your light time as others have suggested.

#7 ·
As mentioned, you need a longer photo period - typically 6-8 hours. Also, rooted plants get much of their nutrients through the roots and your substrate seems to be tapped out. In addition to a good liquid fertilizer, you should use root tabs. I think Seachem's are very good. Some report good success with Osmicote in gel caps, but I'd never use terrestrial ferts in an aquarium (usually way too much ammonia).

So more light and more/better ferts and you should be growing plants like weeds!

#8 ·
We have Thrive and iron but don't use them - we only have time to change the water once a week and I'm worried about adding anything that we can't keep up with.
I don't understand your worry, isn't watching Anubias and Java Fern grow on par with watching grass grow? Or worse? And your not using your fertilizer because why? You are doing the water changes, so it might take an extra few seconds to add a squirt in your water change routine. You've got to sacrifice that added time! Do that and let loose on your light and next month you may have
a couple leaves to trim. I joke but c'mon, you have to put in at least a little time in this hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.