My plants are getting some black "hair" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My plants are getting some black "hair"

Hi all.

I'm experiencing some issues with my plants, and i'm hoping that any of you have som answers for me.

so my isse is that i'm getting black "hair" that grows on my plants, and some of my bigger leaves a curling. (shown in pictures)

have any of you experienced this before, and do you have som tips and tricks?

conditions:
180 L
26 celsius
alle values are good - using JBL EasyTest 6in1 (https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detai...-easytest-6in1)
brand new t8 lights (6500k) 10 hours daytime
new water every two weeks
cycled for 2 1/2 months

fish:
5 cardinal tetra
2 young ancistrus and 1 adult
3 molly
1 fan shrimp
2 apple snail

please, see uploaded pictures at imgur using the link below

https://imgur.com/a/87605xZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Algae Grower

Welcome to the forum! Are you dosing any fertilizer or any co2? How large are your water changes?

The algae you have appears to be Rhizoclonium, or another hair algae if I'm wrong, either way it shows a lack of co2, flow and ferts, it can also be partly due to lack of larger water changes.

Having your lights on for 10 hours a day is very demanding for the plants, if they dont have what they need they will suffer and algae will leach off of them. If you want to avoid doing co2 and ferts you will need to do larger water changes every week and cut back your lighting period to like 6 to 7 hours a day.

Typically unhealthy plant growth cant recover/heal, but new growth fueled by the less than perfect growth can help you get to where you need to be once your issue is solved, then the unhealthy growth can be pruned away.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1234 View Post
I'm experiencing some issues with my plants, and i'm hoping that any of you have som answers for me.

so my isse is that i'm getting black "hair" that grows on my plants, and some of my bigger leaves a curling. (shown in pictures).
What you have is very common and fairly easy to eliminate. However, so long as it isn't terrible (yours is not), rather than killing the algae with chemicals, it is best to let healthy plants out-compete it.

We need some more information, as @Ben3721 indicated. Please provide as much of the following as possible, some you already have:

- Light (what type of T8's): PAR reading at the substrate and photoperiod?
- CO2 setup (if any) and how you measure CO2 levels in the water if you do inject CO2?
- pH difference between fully de-gassed and fully gassed?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity) and how often?
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?

Please look up each of your plants to determine what, if any, special needs they may have. With this, you can see better if you are meeting the needs of the plant. Here is a website that may help: https://www.flowgrow.de/

Searching this forum, to help you answer these questions, may allow you to provided better information.

Tags
plant advice, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode