• 3 Post By Asteroid
  • 2 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Java Fern Industrial Scale Grow Out Tank

Hey All

So this is a road for a subject I've been down before a few times prior to this. So I wanted to make a java fern nursery tank to help kick my old tired slowly decaying java fern bunches back into life. There really isn't much to say on the topic. I'm pretty much looking for people to look at my pictures and reply with comments on how I can make this a more successful experiment.

Setup Info:
Tank size 120L
Fluval Planted 2.0 Lighting
Fluval 306 Canister Filter
Plants types are, Broad leaf, Needle Leaf and Windelov
No fish
No Substrate
Yes that is an air-stone, not a CO2 diffuser!
Plants are anchored lava rock
The colourful things are rubber bands

Anyways like I said before, If you have any suggestions on how to make this work better let me know in the comments below

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Add co2 and ferts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM

Get rid of the air stone. Get a fertilizer. Thrive works well and is.simple. careful if you go with co2 as most of that growth will.die off when placed back in a low tech tank.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Carpenter View Post
careful if you go with co2 as most of that growth will.die off when placed back in a low tech tank.
Fortunately it doesn't work like that, I have never had my java's growth stripped down because of moving from CO2 to non-CO2.
Asteroid and evil8 like this.

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-10-2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAstrophY View Post
Anyways like I said before, If you have any suggestions on how to make this work better let me know in the comments below
My advice is drain the tank except for a very shallow amount of water (essentially just keeping the roots emersed). Then use a small internal filter/powerhead to filter that much reduced volume of water. Grow the java fern emersed. Put a lid of some kind (even just plastic wrap) on the tank and put inside a mister of your choice on a timer. Fertilize the root water and the misting water. Throw some snails in there to try to keep algae down unless you really hate snails, then use amanos. Greenhouses do this all the time and I see no reason to re-invent the wheel when you are not trying to keep fish in this tank.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 PM

Hmm idk what is causing.mine to melt since I've backed way off my.co2 and moving some from a high tech tank to a low tech tank. Swords are worse but only the crypts are not doing this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
My advice is drain the tank except for a very shallow amount of water (essentially just keeping the roots emersed). Then use a small internal filter/powerhead to filter that much reduced volume of water. Grow the java fern emersed. Put a lid of some kind (even just plastic wrap) on the tank and put inside a mister of your choice on a timer. Fertilize the root water and the misting water. Throw some snails in there to try to keep algae down unless you really hate snails, then use amanos. Greenhouses do this all the time and I see no reason to re-invent the wheel when you are not trying to keep fish in this tank.
Funnily enough this is the very original reason I bought this tank. I used to have the tank about a 1/3 full of water, with a pvc frame supporting a egg crate top. The space on top of that was back filled with netted pots stuffed with Growdon rock-wool cubes and plants. Underneath I used to have a small internal cartage filter for circulation. I used to feel the whole lot with a hydroponic nutrient mix. I never found that emersed fish tank setup worked particularly well for me though though. I actually found premium potting mix, plant cuttings and greenhouses sitting outside in indirect sunlight works wonders and costs pennies!

As previously mentioned before this java fern came from an older tank, which has long since been torn down. It was another low tech setup and the plants used to go gang busters in there, or at least they did for about 24 months and then they all just decided something was wrong and stopped pupping and growing all together. Anyways this newest setup is just an attempt to replicate that without any of the old hindrances.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in