Too much light for low tech? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much light for low tech?

I have a Finnex 24/7 Planted plus CC light on my 29g moderate to lightly planted tank. I don't inject CO2, but I use Excel daily.

Is the standard 24/7 mode too much light for this set up? I have a diatom outbreak right now (tank is just over 1 month old and substrate is pool filter sand) but I am also seeing what might be blue green algae growing on the sand.

If it's too much light, how should I adjust the intensities to make this light low tech compatible?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g low tech planted tank running in 24/7 mode from 7am-midnight and it works just fine. I did initially have algae issues but believe this was more from excess nutrients (aka pollution) than too much light. As balance settled in and plants grew more, algae was no longer an issue.
Having 'said' the above, in time I added fast growing floating Water Sprite* that reduces light penetration (but anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, jungle val, and amazon swords seem unaffected.)

* I've become a firm believer that fast growing floating plants are a huge benefit as they convert pollution into plant tissue we eventually remove by trimmings.

If the light was installed on an existing tank, perhaps stepping up on water changes and/or reducing the duration of the photo period may resolve your algae issue.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:28 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

Well the main reason floating plants are so great is that they can get CO2 from the air.

If you setup your tank with an organic soil layer then you can get CO2 that way.

Often people use a siesta schedule in low tech e.g. 4h on - 4h off - 4h on - that allows CO2 levels to replenish during the siesta.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpn View Post
Well the main reason floating plants are so great is that they can get CO2 from the air.

Partly that, but mainly much more light than submerged plants.

We all make choices... I'm just not a fan of soil under sand in an aquarium. I think the value of an inch of soil is short lived after a few partial water changes.

Tank On, Mike-

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the advice. I'm glad to know my light isn't too strong for a low tech setup. I really enjoy the 24/7 setting so I would hate to have to not use it. I do have it modified to turn off completely at 12 am and 3 am.

I just received my KNO3 fertilizer today so added some to the tank to bump up the nitrates a little. Hoping that will help balance the nutrient levels and allow my plants to grow healthier and outcompete the algae.

It is a new tank so the diatoms aren't unexpected, and with increasing my Excel dose they seem to have stopped growing. I just don't want the bga to start growing prolifically, especially since my Emerald brochis catfish like to snuffle around in the sand so I worry that funky stuff growing there will be bad for them.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you're on a timer to turn off at 12am (midnight), how can you turn off again at 3am?

I'm not really a fan of Excel. Glutaraldehyde is chemical used to sterilize heat sensitive medical and dental equipment and just doesn't belong in an aquarium with living things. For this reason, it can be a pretty effective algaecide and is hard on some plants (like jungle val). It's uncertain how well beneficial bacteria holds up at increased doses.

24/7 mode with a planted tank is about as close to mimicking nature as you can get. A more surreal window into nature.

Tank On, Mike-

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Planted Member

I have a couple gallon bowl hanged by a west facing window that receive a few hours direct sunlight in the afternoon. So it is ultra high light, zero tech set up. I have no algae of any sort except thread algae (spirogyra) which I pull out manually every few weeks. Plants are lush green and healthy, but grow very slowly due to minuscule CO2, as evidenced by gyration of pH from 7.2 to 8.8 pre and pro sunlight period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_113348Bowls.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	893279  

Name:	20190607_113355Bowl2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	893281  

Name:	20190607_113402Bowl1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	893283  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
If you're on a timer to turn off at 12am (midnight), how can you turn off again at 3am?

I'm not really a fan of Excel. Glutaraldehyde is chemical used to sterilize heat sensitive medical and dental equipment and just doesn't belong in an aquarium with living things. For this reason, it can be a pretty effective algaecide and is hard on some plants (like jungle val). It's uncertain how well beneficial bacteria holds up at increased doses.

24/7 mode with a planted tank is about as close to mimicking nature as you can get. A more surreal window into nature.
It's the 24/7 CC model, so I can customize the lights at each time slot. So at 12am and 3am I have the LEDs completely off. So in theory it ramps down from 9 pm to 12pm, stays dark until 3am, and then ramps up to 6am.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm thinking maybe you have 12 noon (pm) and 12 midnight (am) mixed up???

My 24/7 is the original, so I use a simple timer on @7am, off at 12 am (midnight). I think that best represents nature and provides total darkness from midnight to 7am for circadian rhythm.

Tank On, Mike-

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I'm thinking maybe you have 12 noon (pm) and 12 midnight (am) mixed up???

My 24/7 is the original, so I use a simple timer on @7am, off at 12 am (midnight). I think that best represents nature and provides total darkness from midnight to 7am for circadian rhythm.
Haha yes I meant 12am. Was typing too fast and not proofreading

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might try just letting your pennywort grow as floating vine, nice little 2” floating lily pads. Casts just light shade if you keep it thinned out and has all water cleaning properties of a good floater. Very easy to maintain and easy to tie up just were want it with little lasso of fishing line. Your fish will also be more outgoing with a little floating cover.

Really in nature pennywort grows at shoreline like this not submerged.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode