• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you get Micro Sword to root?

Hello, I have had a couple pots of micro sword in a 5 gallon tank for about 8 months now. It is doing really well... as a floating plant. I have not been able to get it to stay in the substrate and root. I have Eco-Complete substrate. Water parameters are good, the plant has not died, just won't root. Any suggestions? I have tried weighting it down with rocks, burying it a little deeper, even using string on sticks strung across it to hold it down. No luck. It is a low-tech tank with medium low LED lighting. Anubias and ferns are growing like crazy. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Change your substrate.

Sadly that's not really a joke though it is daunting.

I had eco-complete for my first planted tank and I grew to really hate it for this reason. The substrate manages to be both sharp on roots, hard to plant in, and light all at the same time.

Currently I am using pool filter sand over aquasoil for a 5 gallon. I have also used pool filter sand over dirt with microsword and it roots like a champ.

/shrug just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, if only they had black pool filter sand I would. However, perhaps I will spring for some black sand just for this tank. Thank you for the insight.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I had micro swords in a 12g long for a few years with inert black diamond 'sand' (blasting abrasive) with osmocote+ root tabs. It didn't grow insanely fast but it more than 5x the amount I started with when I finally removed. It stayed down in the substrate.. might also be because I had mts pooping in the sand for the roots to feed on.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:38 AM
Suspended

With lowish lighting and completely inert substrate microsword could be a challenge. I don't know if simply changing the substrate to another inert one will really help that much. Best would be adding co2, next best is dirt.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for all the tips. It really isn't worth it to replace the substrate at this point. I would love to have CO2 in all 12 of my tanks, but that is an upgrade I cannot afford right now, especially for a 5 gallon. My 40 gallon Plants-for-profit tank has first dibs on CO2, but I have to get a 55 gallon cold water tank set up for the Hillstream loaches to move to before I can even think about that. I can certainly put down root tabs and dose with ferts for the micro sword though, see what I can do to get it to root. Is that even possible given that it has been a floating plant for a while? I can hardly tell top from bottom any more....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capers7 View Post
Thank you so much for all the tips. It really isn't worth it to replace the substrate at this point. I would love to have CO2 in all 12 of my tanks, but that is an upgrade I cannot afford right now, especially for a 5 gallon. My 40 gallon Plants-for-profit tank has first dibs on CO2, but I have to get a 55 gallon cold water tank set up for the Hillstream loaches to move to before I can even think about that. I can certainly put down root tabs and dose with ferts for the micro sword though, see what I can do to get it to root. Is that even possible given that it has been a floating plant for a while? I can hardly tell top from bottom any more....
I bought a cup of what looked like java moss from Petco but turned out to be micro sword. I didn't Google the scientific name on the package until I got home. Anyway, it was all one long, twisted, jumbled runner with bits growing out of every direction.

I decided to try planting it to see what it would do. I cut it into pieces about 1/2 to 1 inch long, and pushed the rhizome part just under the substrate (sand in my case) leaving the "blades" to poke up through in some places to get light. I left it alone for a couple of weeks before I decided I really didn't want it and pulled it out. To my surprise, even though it wasn't growing above the surface much, it had already put out some pretty good roots.

So if you want to get it to stick, maybe you can just put sand in the areas you want to plant it? It really seemed to like the sand in my tank. Otherwise, if you can get the rhizome part to stay under your substrate, it might root eventually. I think working with smaller chunks was easier than trying to plant one long twisted thing.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Years back before Lilaeopsis was on the market there was what has called E. Tenellus pigmy chain sword, I had a small group of these in a very well aged 15 gallon with fine river gravel. They're heavy root feeders and need a mulmy or dirted substrate. I can imagine that the Lilaeopsis types aren't that much different.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the information. I will give a sand cap a try with root tabs to see if I can get it to do something! Appreciate the tips!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:31 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've had fantastic luck growing micro sword in Eco Complete. Low tech, it takes a while but it will get there and even carpet. My biggest issues with it have been other plants growing into it, mainly Java moss and Val. Java moss will entangle all around the base and it's easy to pull up the swords when trying to remove the moss. But given time and at least lean ferts, it grows great in EC in my experience in several tanks.
Asteroid likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Suspended

EC takes quite a beating on this forum. I get the nutrient claim stuff, but as far as plants growing in it or being able to plant in it, I've never had a major issue.

HC and E. Tenellus ‘Micro growing in EC.

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't understand how different other's experiences can be or why EC gets such a bad rap here. At least Flourite has the distinction of having to be rinsed 1000x before using so I could see frustration towards that. EC isn't cheap, and I don't doubt that there are better values as substrates go. But EC and Flourite have worked for me for a long time and are my go-to substrates for inert. I've never had worse substrate experiences than using sand, and could write a long-winded diatribe on the reasons I hate it. Just goes to show that different people have different experiences in this hobby.
Asteroid likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode