1 gallon jug - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 gallon jug

I have a one gallon glass jug from some apple cider and I would love to try doing a virtually no tech mini planted tank with maybe some shrimp. I have some Fluval stratum around and a big tank with a turtle, so can get cycled water easily. I live in Minnesota, so night time temps in the house down to low 60s in winter. I can have it in a spot with good eastern and southern light exposure.

I'd love recommendations on plants and shrimp etc.

bonus if any excess plant growth could be transplanted to the turtle tank in the future.
I currently have red ludwigia in the turtle tank, as well as some tiny remainders of dwarf hair grass.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Low-tech, low input plants would probably be your friend here - crypts maybe? Not sure how well they'd fare with such low temperature swings though.

What are your thoughts on elodea? It grew very well in my short-lived ~1G daphnia vase. It would fill the jar pretty quickly but is hardy and would probably use up a fair number of nutrients so algae less of an issue. I'm sure it would grow enough to be moved over to your big tank too!

As for livestock, I really wouldn't put even shrimp in a 1 gallon, the parameter/temperature swings would be too much to be comfortable with, imo. After my daphnia vase and (empty/cycling) 15G tank got taken over by damselfly larvae (an entire drama in itself) I noticed the huge difference in growth rate between the *tiny* specimens in the small, unfiltered jar, and the much larger, more robust specimens in the tank. Really demonstrated to me that although they were surviving, they certainly weren't thriving, and I'd imagine it would be the same for shrimp.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Thelongsnail, I hadn't thought about the temperature swings....I wonder if having it on a heating pad like they have for reptile cages would work? And please excuse my ignorance, as I'm very new to the whole planted tank thing, what is the expanded form of "crypts"?

I saw this posting on another recent thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11304247

I would think being ON the window would make those bowls even more wildly variable in temperature swings.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Cria Oops, sorry! Cryptocoryne are a species of plant, popular ones include Cryptocoryne beckettii, C. Balansae, C. Wendtii, C. Parva, but there's all sorts out there. They're not as quick growing as stems, but I personally love the darker hues and different textures. They don't do well with swings in parameters or temperatures though, and are notorious for "Crypt melt" in which all their leaves melt and they pretend to die while they actually adapt to new surroundings.

I believe you can get heating pads for small tanks even, but have never used them myself. I'd be really interested to follow along if you do use them though, as I've read somewhere that some plants (including cryptocorynes) grow much faster when their roots are in warmed sand. No idea if that's true though...

Re: the shrimps - Don't get me wrong, it definitely *can* be done, I guess it's just down to personal preference. Although I probably wouldn't personally do it, a 1 gallon with shrimp is FAR better than some of the set ups with bettas etc. that you see a lot, and the shrimp would probably be fine.

Just as an aside, seeing as you said you were new to it - water doesn't contain much beneficial bacteria as they're photophobic and like to attach themselves to surfaces. So it's your filter that's where all the good stuff is at!

Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode