10 gallon no CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zwalter08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon no CO2

I am gonna set up a 10 gallon tank. I am thinking of doing one corner of the tank heavily planted and then the rest would be open just a sand bottom. I am going to do potting soil capped with sand on the planted corner as i have had success with this in the past. I just have a few questions about plants that would survive there. Here is what i was thinking of using.

- Anubias minima
- Crypt. Parva
- vallisneria torta

I don't have any concern about the anubias and not really the crypt as i have had luck with them in the past, but i have never had Val. would that be ok in this substrate without CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalter08 View Post
I am gonna set up a 10 gallon tank. I am thinking of doing one corner of the tank heavily planted and then the rest would be open just a sand bottom. I am going to do potting soil capped with sand on the planted corner as i have had success with this in the past. I just have a few questions about plants that would survive there. Here is what i was thinking of using.

- Anubias minima
- Crypt. Parva
- vallisneria torta

I don't have any concern about the anubias and not really the crypt as i have had luck with them in the past, but i have never had Val. would that be ok in this substrate without CO2?
Heh, I just got back from my local fish store with 2 bunches of corkscrew val. I am planning to put it in a low tech tank as well. I haven't really planted it yet so I can't tell you for certainty that it will grow great, but by all reports you shouldn't have much trouble so long as your lighting is reasonably decent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay as long as it survives and slowly grows i'm happy so i should be good. I have a finnex ray2 i believe and the plants will get direct light so i think i should be good. Thanks!

Last edited by zwalter08; 01-23-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

Vals can get their carbon from carbonate hardness (vs. CO2) so make sure your water isn't too soft and you should be all good.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also i know that the anubias are better suited not planted in the substrate, but would they be okay if they were?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:49 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

I have my Anubias in the substrate (they grow significant roots), just make sure the rhizome is well above the substrate and gets some water flowing around it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpn View Post
I have my Anubias in the substrate (they grow significant roots), just make sure the rhizome is well above the substrate and gets some water flowing around it.
OK thanks

Bump: i am looking for a plant with rounder leaves that is not an anubias to break up the val and crypts. I found ECHINODORUS MURICATUS or Radican sword commonly. Does anyone know anything about it or are there any other suggestions for round leaf plants for low tech that cant be that tall or too short.
fpn likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

another question i have is that i would like to order the supplies and plants for my tank as they are in stock but i am currently using the tank, how could i store and keep the plants alive

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode