JustAGirl_FL's first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustAGirl_FL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
JustAGirl_FL's first planted tank

I set up this 10 gallon tank up two weeks ago and it will be used for a betta, a couple of mystery snails, and some Amano or ghost shrimp. My LFS gave me some cycled water to kickstart the process and so it only took 1.5 weeks for the cycle to complete. Right now I have two mystery snails (Kirk and Picard) in there and they've been zooming around eating algae and biofilm. The water is cloudy right now because I just did a partial water change. The reflection in the top right is the old TV show, Adam-12.

I have some anacharis along the left side and back wall, two Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red in the front left, a Madagascar lace plant in the back right corner, and a banana plant behind that ball of Subwassertang. On the driftwood are three Anubias Coffefolia, and in front of the MLP is a Java fern on a piece of Malaysian driftwood. I have a few more plants coming in a couple days thanks to an awesome member of this forum. Oh, and I'm using Black Diamond blasting sand for my substrate.

The anacharis is going crazy and I've already had to trim it back so I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it in the tank. It would already be gone if my daughter didn't like it so much.

I have some more pieces of Malaysian driftwood hidden in there to try to bring down the pH in my tank since it's 7.8, 8.4 out of the tap. If that doesn't work then I'll buy RO/DI water from my LFS to mix with my tap water. I'm not adding any more fauna until I get the pH thing figured out and stable.

This has been a really fun project and I honestly had no idea how much there was to learn. I'm still not sure about fertilizers so if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 gallon 14 Jan 20.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	891913  

JJJessee likes this.

Last edited by JustAGirl_FL; 01-15-2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice tank!

My water is 7.8 pH as well which is high compared to the ideal but you don't need rodi water just for that. Especially if you want to keep a betta. They are pretty hardy.

For fertilizer look into ThriveC if you don't plan to add pressurized co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I would not add amano shrimp as they like lower pH than you currently have. As stated above bettas (the 'flashy' kinds you see in cups at the store-crowntail, veiltail, halfmoon, delta, plakat, etc etc) will be fine in your pH. I didn't see mention of the tank size? Keep in mind mystery sails make a LOT of poop and need a large tank-10g for just 1, I'd recommend 15g-20g or larger for 2 of those.
btw that lace plant will dominate the tank in time, be ready to trim off leaves as they get too massive.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Nice tank!

My water is 7.8 pH as well which is high compared to the ideal but you don't need rodi water just for that. Especially if you want to keep a betta. They are pretty hardy.

For fertilizer look into ThriveC if you don't plan to add pressurized co2.

I don't plan to add pressurized CO2. The expense and the learning curve just don't interest me for such a small tank.

I'm hoping that the Malaysian driftwood does the job. My LFS guy seems to think it will.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I would not add amano shrimp as they like lower pH than you currently have. As stated above bettas (the 'flashy' kinds you see in cups at the store-crowntail, veiltail, halfmoon, delta, plakat, etc etc) will be fine in your pH. I didn't see mention of the tank size? Keep in mind mystery sails make a LOT of poop and need a large tank-10g for just 1, I'd recommend 15g-20g or larger for 2 of those.
btw that lace plant will dominate the tank in time, be ready to trim off leaves as they get too massive.

I know the Madagascar lace will need a lot of trimming but I figure the betta should like it because the leaves sit so high up in the water. Besides, it's much easier to keep neat than that stupid anacharis. I told my daughter when she came home from work today that it's not long for this world.

Dangit about the mystery snails. Everything I've looked at says you can put 2 - 3 in a ten gallon (I updated the information above) if you don't have many other fish. Since I plan to just have a betta I thought it'd be fine. On the other hand I have an Aquaclear 30 on the tank so hopefully the extra filtration will help with the snails.

I know the shrimp won't like the pH which is one of the reasons I'm trying to find a way to lower it. Worst case I cut it with RO/DI water, best case the Malaysian driftwood corrects it. If it becomes too difficult to keep the pH lower and stable then I'll forgo the shrimp.

I do appreciate the information so thank you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post

I have several false amanos (very similar) and they do just fine in degassed ph 7.8-8.2 in both my 10g and 40b. Ofcourse I add equilibrium to bring my GH from 1 to 4-5. Goofy PNW water. The false amanos and a couple false juliis and a betta are probably the only original inhabitants from when I first started these two tanks and have survived relearning fish keeping and a substrate change or two midway thru.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I have several false amanos (very similar) and they do just fine in degassed ph 7.8-8.2 in both my 10g and 40b. Ofcourse I add equilibrium to bring my GH from 1 to 4-5. Goofy PNW water. The false amanos and a couple false juliis and a betta are probably the only original inhabitants from when I first started these two tanks and have survived relearning fish keeping and a substrate change or two midway thru.

I hadn't heard of false Amanos. I'll have to look those up.

My KH is 3 and my GH is 7, both out of the tap and in the tank. I don't have a TDS meter yet so I'm not sure if I'm going to have to do anything about those readings.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I’d move Aquaclear (20?) a couple inches to right so input tube is hidden behind wood, moving current over a bit will also push lace bulb leaves more over into right corner.

Then get you some red root floaters and you should be able to get them to hang out in that front left corner over wendtii. Betta love this stuff, bubble nest will soon be built.

Good looking floater with blood red roots. Floaters have high metabolism because they can get all light and co2 they want at surface, great water cleaner so that haze in your water will disappear in about a week.

Betta love slightly old tannin stained water so let wood do it’s thing, just change enough water to keep PH up about 7.2 and GH around 4-5 for your snails, you don’t want to acidic for them. Your off to great start.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl_FL View Post
I hadn't heard of false Amanos. I'll have to look those up.

My KH is 3 and my GH is 7, both out of the tap and in the tank. I don't have a TDS meter yet so I'm not sure if I'm going to have to do anything about those readings.

I think your water parameters are pretty good IMHO. Not sure if others would agree. The KH should keep the PH pretty stable and the GH is high enough to not decentegrate your invertebrate shells.

False amanos are just what we call them, they are similar to regular amanos and have been sold at petco and the likes being called amanos. Pretty sure they come from the same area in the wild, have similar habits and sometimes even look similar.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Iíd move Aquaclear (20?) a couple inches to right so input tube is hidden behind wood, moving current over a bit will also push lace bulb leaves more over into right corner.

Then get you some red root floaters and you should be able to get them to hang out in that front left corner over wendtii. Betta love this stuff, bubble nest will soon be built.

Good looking floater with blood red roots. Floaters have high metabolism because they can get all light and co2 they want at surface, great water cleaner so that haze in your water will disappear in about a week.

Betta love slightly old tannin stained water so let wood do itís thing, just change enough water to keep PH up about 7.2 and GH around 4-5 for your snails, you donít want to acidic for them. Your off to great start.

It's a 30, but that's a great idea. Originally, the anacharis was planted to hide it but that's not working so moving the filter itself will work. Moving the lace plants leaves further over will be a nice bonus. As for the red root floaters, great minds think alike! I have some coming tomorrow. I looked all over locally and a few places online and everyone was out or I'd already have some.

Tannins in the water won't bother me, mostly because I do know that the bettas love it, but I do like the look. Thanks for the information about the pH and GH levels I should be shooting for. That makes planning for me a lot easier.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think your water parameters are pretty good IMHO. Not sure if others would agree. The KH should keep the PH pretty stable and the GH is high enough to not decentegrate your invertebrate shells.

False amanos are just what we call them, they are similar to regular amanos and have been sold at petco and the likes being called amanos. Pretty sure they come from the same area in the wild, have similar habits and sometimes even look similar.

OK, that makes sense. I did a search last night and everything kept leading me back to this forum. I'll take a look at Petco once I get everything set.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl_FL View Post
OK, that makes sense. I did a search last night and everything kept leading me back to this forum. I'll take a look at Petco once I get everything set.

Here are some threads, one is mine, the other the second or third post list some follow on threads that were worth reading. Not a big deal as the false amanos and regular amanos require basically similar/same care.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...mano-size.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...bably-not.html

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Here are some threads, one is mine, the other the second or third post list some follow on threads that were worth reading. Not a big deal as the false amanos and regular amanos require basically similar/same care.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...mano-size.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...bably-not.html

Yep, those are the ones that came up in my Google search.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode