Plants newish to the hobby for these conditions? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Desert Pupfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Plants newish to the hobby for these conditions?

When I left the hobby several years ago, buces were just coming into vogue and I'd never heard of monte carlo or several of the other varieties of plants now available. My go-to plant database hasn't been updated and I'm looking for something new to try. I've seen some nice new anubias nana species (variegated and golden) but otherwise I'm looking for things other than crypts, buces, mosses, java fern, sagittaria, or echinodorous species.

Conditions: neutral pH, dGH 4-7, dKH 2-4, unheated; lighting is 28-30 mMol @ the substrate; fertilizer is Flourish Comp & Salty Shrimp GH/KH+, no CO2 or Excel used in this 7.5g rock and sand invert tank.

Any recommendations?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Often thought about trying some Littorella Uniflora as foreground. Tropica lists it as low light, low CO2, undemanding plant. Thick fleshy leaves almost look like 2” tall chives.

Rainer, reddhawkk and evil8 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome back to the hobby! Like you, I recently came back to it about 6 mos ago after decades away, and have been having fun learning about all the new plants, substrates, etc people are using now.

Here are some that have worked well in my low tech 55 g thus far:
  • Nymphaea--lilies that come in various shades of red, light green, and everything in between
  • Vallisneria: thrives in low tech tanks, and there are tiger & red varieties available
  • Hygrophila species: stem plants in a variety of species--all easy
  • Memaid weed/Proserpinaca palustrus--easy stem plant. Turn orange/red in bright light
  • Bacopa--various species. I've got monnieri and it's a pretty light green, and easy

Some I haven't had a chance to try yet, but other newbies tell me are easy in low tech tanks:
  • Pogostemon--various species
  • Aponogeton--bulb plants in various species. The familiar Madagascar Lace Plant is notoriously finicky, but the others are pretty easy, I'm told.

And I wouldn't discount crypts & swords. There are lots of new varieties--most of them small & often very colorful.

My go-to reference site is flowgrow.de. Only downside is that it's a German site, and sometimes I see an interesting plant I'd like to try, but which doesn't seem to be available in the US.

Good luck, and have fun!
Rainer likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@DaveKS, do you happen to know if this is primarily a root feeder?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
@DaveKS, do you happen to know if this is primarily a root feeder?
There really isn't any plant you need to feed through the roots. They will all take water column ferts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So root tabs are superfluous unless you're running a lean tank for the sake of sensitive inhabitants?

I'm very tempted to try this plant, though the warning on Tropica's site stating that they're easily damaged makes me wonder if that's a good idea in a tank filled with large, not exactly graceful snails.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

I grew Litorella unilflora years ago. I found it slower growing even in high light conditions. It can be a BBA magnet as well.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yep, Tropica states its slow growing which not sure if Iíd consider that a negative just that you plant in area you want and it will stay in itís bounds for a very long time.

If you got big apple snails could be problematic if keep breaking the delicate leaves.

As far as root feeding, doubt it would be needed given itís slow growth it probably has a very low need for nutrient uptake. Your shrimp poop should take care of itís needs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode