suggestions: types of fish for 4.5gal walstad tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By minorhero
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 4
Question suggestions: types of fish for 4.5gal walstad tank

I am a beginner when it comes to planted tanks, so I was wondering what types of fish people would recommend for my 4.5 gallon Walstad method tank. Currently the only livestock in the tank are a few small stowaway snails(no idea what type) that came with the hornwort I bought. I'm planning to buy a few shrimp to stock the tank and haven't decided whether I should purchase a few more snails. If anyone has suggestions for what species of fish I should keep once the tank is finished cycling that would be much appreciated.
mackenziefcs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 AM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
The size is pretty limiting, though you do have a few options. You could do Endlers, which are similar to guppies but a little smaller (and prettier imo). I hear that Bettas can do well in a 5 gallon, but you would have to look into that more. Some sources say that you can house 1 or maybe 2 clown killifish in something that small, but there are conflicting opinions. You might want to look into small killifish, as they seem like they would do well in a walstad tank. Maybe some of the nano tetras or rasboras. Maybe dwarf cory cats, but I don't know much about corys.

On many smaller aquarium store websites, you can find a section called "nano fish". This could be a great resource, but just make sure that the fish will thrive in a 4.5g. You can also search thus sort of thing up on youtube.

Hope this helps.
user.equalto.Null is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 832
I second the endlers.

A Betta could do fine in a tank like that but it will probably eat at least some of your shrimp throwing off your balance.

I have a few ricefish in a 7.5 gallon Walstad. You could do 3 in a 4.5 gallon.

Does this tank have any water circulation or is it without filter at all?

You mentioned you are new to planted tanks, typically a no filter dirt tank is not super beginner friendly. One easy to make mistake is not doing enough water changes. A new dirt tank needs a 50% water change every day for the first week, every other day the second week and 3 times on week 3 and twice on week 4.

I assume you don't mind putting a heater in? If you don't want a heater let us know as that will affect the fish options.
mackenziefcs likes this.
minorhero is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 556
+3 on the Endlers.

RAOK Club #55
reddhawkk is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 877
More support for the endlers. They're very small, very visible, not hiding in plants, etc. But you'll want all males - these breed prolifically. So many varieties you can either do all the same coloring/pattern, or mix them up. Whatever is more pleasing to you.
SueD is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: 67212
Posts: 1,403
Ember tetra would be great, easy to obtain and keep choice, 7-8 of them.
DaveKS is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I second the endlers.

A Betta could do fine in a tank like that but it will probably eat at least some of your shrimp throwing off your balance.

I have a few ricefish in a 7.5 gallon Walstad. You could do 3 in a 4.5 gallon.

Does this tank have any water circulation or is it without filter at all?

You mentioned you are new to planted tanks, typically a no filter dirt tank is not super beginner friendly. One easy to make mistake is not doing enough water changes. A new dirt tank needs a 50% water change every day for the first week, every other day the second week and 3 times on week 3 and twice on week 4.

I assume you don't mind putting a heater in? If you don't want a heater let us know as that will affect the fish options.
Yes, I do have a heater set to 78F, no circulation but I have been checking the toxicity, amonia, ph and nitrite and nitrate levels, i will definitely look into endlers, ricefish, and have been following a similar water changing routine to the one you mentioned. thanks again!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by user.equalto.Null View Post
The size is pretty limiting, though you do have a few options. You could do Endlers, which are similar to guppies but a little smaller (and prettier imo). I hear that Bettas can do well in a 5 gallon, but you would have to look into that more. Some sources say that you can house 1 or maybe 2 clown killifish in something that small, but there are conflicting opinions. You might want to look into small killifish, as they seem like they would do well in a walstad tank. Maybe some of the nano tetras or rasboras. Maybe dwarf cory cats, but I don't know much about corys.

On many smaller aquarium store websites, you can find a section called "nano fish". This could be a great resource, but just make sure that the fish will thrive in a 4.5g. You can also search thus sort of thing up on youtube.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the options, this definitely helped! Im sure i dont want a betta but I will 100% look into the endlers, killifish, and tetras, and thhe rasboras. and cory cats. thanks for the help! Im just scared about whatever fish I get eating or killing my snails and shrimp! thanks again!
mackenziefcs is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by user.equalto.Null View Post
The size is pretty limiting, though you do have a few options. You could do Endlers, which are similar to guppies but a little smaller (and prettier imo). I hear that Bettas can do well in a 5 gallon, but you would have to look into that more. Some sources say that you can house 1 or maybe 2 clown killifish in something that small, but there are conflicting opinions. You might want to look into small killifish, as they seem like they would do well in a walstad tank. Maybe some of the nano tetras or rasboras. Maybe dwarf cory cats, but I don't know much about corys.

On many smaller aquarium store websites, you can find a section called "nano fish". This could be a great resource, but just make sure that the fish will thrive in a 4.5g. You can also search thus sort of thing up on youtube.

Hope this helps.
If i were to keep a killifish, should it be the only inhabitant? I was thinking maybe 1 killifish and a few endlers? is that a reasonable idea? I would love to have multiple species of fish if its possible, thanks
mackenziefcs is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziefcs View Post
If i were to keep a killifish, should it be the only inhabitant? I was thinking maybe 1 killifish and a few endlers? is that a reasonable idea? I would love to have multiple species of fish if its possible, thanks
Ricefish are a killifish and while you would not outbalance your tank you are not going to be able to have 5 or 6 of each fish. Other killifish... your mileage will vary. From what I have read many will get too big and be too aggressive for some other critters you might be planning. Especially shrimp, most other killifish will eat shrimp, even adult shrimp. Ricefish are peaceful though and frankly don't get that big so you can do shrimp with ricefish.
mackenziefcs likes this.
minorhero is online now  
Reply

Tags
beginner, fish help, fish type, walstad method

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome