Will I be okay will this much sand over the soil? Walstad Method - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I’m just telling you what my experiences have been. I myself at one time didn’t think her recommended grain size would make that big a difference, but it does.

You asked for advice, I gave it. Simple truth is I myself personally wouldn’t use that size sand in anything other than just putting a 1cm max layer on bare bottom glass.

I’m not that educated, anything I’ve learned has come from hard knock school of total fail and being corrected by my friend who is biologist/freshwater ecologist/aquaculturist with multiple degrees. Walstad’s book totally snowed me also when I 1st read it. Then he explained that she’s instructing how to set up a littoral facies in a aquarium. In particular the submerged upper edge in this diagram, as you go deeper in this picture the more anoxic substrate becomes.

Also explained why pore size and circulation in substrate is so important in setting up proper oxic and anoxic layers. There is a fine line between a beneficial mildly anaerobic layer and a stinking/putrid anoxic layer that rots plants from root, engulfs your tank with algae/Cyanobacteria usually only found in profundal zones of aquatic ecosystems and even at times releases a built up methane/sulfide bubble layer into tank that can if severe enough wipe out every fish, snail, shrimp in your tank. I’d prefer to know that my tank isn’t ever going to go that place if all I simply have to do is make sure my sand is proper size.

Dennis Wong’s section also touches on pore spacing on his website. To me this section and following one on layers and microbial action should be required reading for anyone setting up a aquarium, not just planted aquarium.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...substrate.html

Most people who set up a soil tank would also be months ahead in reaching a viable/stabile system if they would pre-leach soil of excess humic/organic compounds and mineralize soil for a couple weeks before placing in aquarium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had to reduce my substrate (both soil and cap), in four tanks because I improvised from the book and went too deep with everything. It was way more difficult than just being very meticulous in starting up.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Tags
50 gal, plants, sand, walstad method

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode