3Likes
  • 1 Post By Freemananana
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I dose Co2 into a low tech tank

I have searched forums and just feel like there is no real answer that I have found could I dose small amounts or even a medium amount of co2 into my low tech 110 gallon tank to help with growing out of my plants or will it cause to much headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Please share your details. Low-tech can be an ambiguous term.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If low tech is low light, then yes. Low tech, by many definitions, is a tank without CO2. So it would become ironic at that point.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We had a thread about tech definitions, and it was complicated.

Basically, I think aquarium advice varies by substrate, and/or dosing, and/or lights, and/or CO2, and/or etc.

If you are using dirt, I will comment. Otherwise, I will leave it to others.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's all about balance. Typically for low tech tanks the limiting factor stopping greater plant growth is access to carbon/co2.

So if you push co2 into a tank not otherwise ready for it you could end up with plants growing great for a bit then running into the next limiting factor (not enough nutrients or not enough light) then you get things like staghorn algae etc. But assuming you are ready for the co2 and have good ferts and light appropriately set up then sure you can add co2.

Of course you have a silly semantic issue. Generally a low tech tank is one without co2 and a high tech tank is one with co2. So really what you are asking is how to convert your low tech tank to high tech.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
I have searched forums and just feel like there is no real answer that I have found could I dose small amounts or even a medium amount of co2 into my low tech 110 gallon tank to help with growing out of my plants or will it cause to much headache.
CO2 would improve the growth contained in any tank.
With a 110G gallon tank I'd recommend a reactor vs. a diffuser.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
It's all about balance. Typically for low tech tanks the limiting factor stopping greater plant growth is access to carbon/co2.

So if you push co2 into a tank not otherwise ready for it you could end up with plants growing great for a bit then running into the next limiting factor (not enough nutrients or not enough light) then you get things like staghorn algae etc. But assuming you are ready for the co2 and have good ferts and light appropriately set up then sure you can add co2.

Of course you have a silly semantic issue. Generally a low tech tank is one without co2 and a high tech tank is one with co2. So really what you are asking is how to convert your low tech tank to high tech.
So I dose with seachem flourish I have a cheaper but decent full spectrum led light I got off amazon. I am not 100 percent on the par rating at the substrate. I use seachem flourite black sand with root tabs placed near every plant that is heavy root feeders I have amazon sword, cryps water wisteria some jungle val.. essentially all easy grow plants. And I am new to the plants I have done lots of research on water chemistry and ph levels, all the deficiencies of not enough macronutrients the tank has been set up for 3 years without plants and 3 months ago I got into plants. But I just havent seen the growth I was imagining or should be seeing. So basically I was wondering if I would be able to add co2 in lower to medium doses to see if it would help with the growth of the plants
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those plants should grow OK without CO2. Many people who grow Val in low tech complain about it taking over the tank.

There has to be some other limiting factor. Low phosphates or nitrates? Fluorish has almost none of those 2 key plant growth elements and if your fish load/poop/feeding is not providing enough then you have to add it. You can add all Fluorish you want but if those 2 elements are missing then your Plant growth will stall.

Circulation and flow patterns? And it’s not about GPH for most part. It’s about moving water from surface to substrate so fresh water is constantly being moved high to low, which brings fresh water to surface where gas exchange happens (adsorption of both CO2 and oxygen).

And also flushing substrate bed with gentle breeze of a currents that covers whole substrate bed end to end and front and back. This pushes micro currents into substrate layer which provide oxygenation and other gases to bacteria living there so their metabolism is enhanced as well as circulating any ferts you put in water to CEC binding sites of substrate so that they can be held there and be made available to plants roots.

How much circulation do you have and how’s it setup? Pic of tank?
How much Fluorish do you dose and how often?
What are your PH, GH, KH, nitrate and phosphate readings?
How many fish etc and how often do you feed?
How much water do you change and how often?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

It's really about light .
How much do you have and how much plants do you want to trim . If $ isn't an issue and you want a jungle, the c02 will get you a full jungle with low lights.
Some plants need high light and no amount of c02 or fertilizer will change their needs but most low light plants will grow faster and branch out with co2 and aio fertilizer.
The headache comes when you push the light/gas pedal.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

I'm a bit of a newbie here - I added co2 to my 120 about 3 weeks ago - i'm getting a little of very soft green algae on the surface of the tank (I have frog bits or something similar - and it grows on the roots); but otherwise growth has picked up. What drove me to add co2 is i was getting holes in anubia and ulvaceus new leaves - and growth in the ulvaceus was anemic over 4 months. Since adding co2 the new leaves stopped having holes (both anubia and ulvaceus) and the ulvaceus put out 10 new leaves (in 3 weeks) with the largest being over 18 inches long (quite a bit larger than the one in my 29). The negative is the dwarf lilly is overtaking the tank and the leaves are growing mid tank (I cut the ones going tot he surface) and are extermely large - over 5 inches). So there is some plus and some negative. My tank has jungle val but that was taking over the tank before adding co2 (longest leaves were over 6 feet long and over 1 inch wide). To be honest I should start pulling some of the new jungle val plants - my cluster of 3 has grown to 10+ but that occurred before i added co2. I'm using an inline diffuser on one side of the tank (no clue of the difference between diffuser and reactor). My angles hate the bubble pouring out the spray bar but otherwise it seems to work - only negaitve is my microswords in the front haven't really grown much - kind of wanted them to start forming a carpet.
-
If I had known i was going to add co2 i would have limited the tank to a single dwarf lilly - didn't realize they would get so large (I have a cluster of three plants with a sword plant in the middle and i have to keep trimming to make sure the sword gets some light - but it has also benefited greatly from the co2. for 4 months it put out one anemic leaf but since adding co2 it has added 3 or 4 leaves that are very healthy (this plants is kind of old and was much larger before i moved but it never really liked the new tank after i moved until i added co2).
-
I'm wating the algae closely - the only thing I'm getting is this annoying stuff i mentioned at the top that grows near the surface it is extremely soft but still annoying - my algae eaters don't know how to deal with it given the location (I have some otto and bn plecos)
-
The tank has a 48 inch fluval plant 3.0 and a 36 inch fluval plant 3.0
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

No problem at all, in contrary, plants need it. If you supply the same CO2 every day plants will do better and you can add “difficult” and “high light” plants. Additional CO2 cannot be a bad thing since carbon is the major plant nutrient. Plants are made of only 0.01 % Fe, 1.5 % N, but 48 % carbon, and CO2 supplies the needed carbon. And the high versus low tech division is not defined because it doesn’t exist.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
No problem at all, in contrary, plants need it. If you supply the same CO2 every day plants will do better and you can add “difficult” and “high light” plants. Additional CO2 cannot be a bad thing since carbon is the major plant nutrient. Plants are made of only 0.01 % Fe, 1.5 % N, but 48 % carbon, and CO2 supplies the needed carbon. And the high versus low tech division is not defined because it doesn’t exist.
Yes! Thanks for the division bit.

I occasionally run CO2 in my dirt tanks, but not continuously, just to bump growth for a while, especially if I move some plants out and want to make it bushy again. I get some natural CO2 from the soil, but sometimes you want your plants to really grow rapidly. I don't always use it because I don't want to be trimming and replanting from too much growth!

If I were a gardener, I might just grow enough tomatoes to eat, but not enough that I have to figure out how to give them away.

Cheers
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
If I were a gardener, I might just grow enough tomatoes to eat, but not enough that I have to figure out how to give them away.
Sometimes throwing tomatoes can be fun!

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode