• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Mark Fisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting New Tank Help

Hi,

Im looking to start a new low tech 17 gallon tank.
It is approx. 14 high.

If I use organic soil mix from home depot and CaribSea Eco Complete as a cap. How long do
these soil/substrate retain their nutrients?

How long can you leave same setup without having to redo everything? Does the soil need to be replace every year or less?

Is the Beamworks DA FS 24 enough for 12 height?
I would like to try the Monte Carlo carpet. I will let tank cycle before adding plants and stock with fish later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There will super technically always be some level of nutrients in the soil, but plants will likely need additional fertilizer in a few weeks if you want to maintain maximum growth. A liquid fertilizer added regularly to the tank will help a great deal and the soil should store excess nutrients from the fertilizer.

You should rethink using eco-complete as your cap. It is a larger grain substrate and will not do a good job keeping the soil out of the water column. Instead consider using either sand or a small grain substrate. You can mix those with eco complete if you like.

I am no light expert. But your light is producing 4000 lumen? Probably ok for Monte Carlo at 12 inches. You should get other opinions though. Cause, really I am no expert on lights.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

Perhaps a layer of sand then the eco stuff. What is the nice sparkly fine looking substrate I see on some of these planted tanks?

Have you read any horror stories using organic soil?
Im nervous with critters it may bring to the tank.

Bump: Thanks.

Perhaps a layer of sand then the eco stuff. What is the nice sparkly fine looking substrate I see on some of these planted tanks?

Have you read any horror stories using organic soil?
Im nervous with critters it may bring to the tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dirted tanks are reasonably popular option. I think a lot of people try them eventually. That said, they are not beginner friendly. If this is your first planted tank then I strongly suggest reconsidering the dirt aspect and replacing it with a professional aquasoil such as ada amazonia, fluval stratum, uns controlsoil, etc. You can still put it under sand/eco-complete but you don't have to worry about it making as much of a mess.

You need to sift the dirt and/or soak it first and remove floating bits. You also need to treat both dirt and aquasoil as active substrates when setting up the tank, meaning they will both leech a lot of nutrients into the water right away. So for the first week after flooding you do water changes every day of 50%. Second week is every other day. Third week is 3 times that week. Fourth week is twice that week. Thereafter once a week.

Even after all this is done you will still be in a situation where uprooting plants will make a mess as dirt is pulled to the surface and you will thus need to be careful about disturbing the substrate much. Rescapes will need to be kept to a minimum / not done at all.

After all this is said and done dirt does not have much or possibly any real advantage over professional aquasoil except price and even then, this is a pretty small tank so it wouldn't cost much to put down an inch of aquasoil and cap it with sand / eco complete.

Either will require a liquid fertilizer to be added. Assuming you are not planning to inject co2 I recommend ThriveC.

Oh and the sand you see in a lot of planted tanks is probably Pool Filter Sand. The HTH brand is well thought of if you can find it locally. Otherwise any pool supply store can sell you a 50lb bag for like 15 dollars or less.
Nature Freak likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't use organic soil mix, because the organic component will break down eventually and need to be replaced. Also, you can't be certain what it is (e.g., peat moss, cow manure, generic compost, etc.). Instead, the key word to look for is topsoil, with nothing added. Topsoil should be mostly mineral, with just some organic matter. It will say topsoil on the bag. This will need to be capped with about 1" sand.
Nature Freak likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I have a 5 gallon tank, I am going try it with that first. I decided to go with Seachem Flourite. I bought a small bottle
of Flourish Advanced. Should I just stick with the Flourish or get the Flourish Excel as main fertilizer.

Looks like I can get a small pad of dwarf baby tears. Should this be added at start up or wait till tank cycles. For low tech, easy
going plants like Anubius, Java fern, can these be added initially before tank cycles?

I bought the 12 Beamworks EA Led light. Only version that came in 12. I have an LED dimmer so lowering brightness is not an issue.

So for planted tanks, using activated charcoal for filtration is a no no? I have few small packets of purigen/charcoal.
Just use mechanical and bio filtration?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

Activated charcoal will remove some of the ingredients in Flourish Advance. Just use mechanical filtration.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Fluorish Advance is not a complete fertilizer, its a extra additive.

Compare its ingredients .... only top 4 are part of 14 elements needed for fert.

Amounts per 1 g
Available Phosphate (P2O5) 0.04%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 0.45%
Calcium (Ca) 0.04%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.04%
ALSO CONTAINS NON-PLANT FOOD INGREDIENT(S):
Alanine 0.06%
γ-Amino Butyric Acid 0.15%
Glutamic Acid 0.04%
Mannitol 0.14%
Ascorbic Acid 0.14%
Phytohormones
for use as horticultural enhancement 0.0003%

Fluorish Comprehensive...

Amounts per 1 g
Total Nitrogen (N) 0.007%
Available Phosphate (P2O5) 0.01%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 0.37%
Calcium (Ca) 0.14%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.11%
Sulfur (S) 0.2773%
Boron (B) 0.009%
Chlorine (Cl) 1.15%
Cobalt (Co) 0.0004%
Copper (Cu) 0.0001%
Iron (Fe) 0.32%
Manganese (Mn) 0.0118%
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0009%
Sodium (Na) 0.13%
Zinc (Zn) 0.0007%

Along with Fluorish Comp, you may also need their Nitrogen and Phosphate additives if your fish feeding is not providing enough of those 2 elements.

Never found much use for Excel.

Carbon and purigen for doing spot clean ups, not for running full time in tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When you prune/snip off old plant growth, can you leave it in the tank or it is better to remove it. Looks difficult with carpet plants, being
one handed operation in smaller tanks.

I will need a 2nd bag of flourite for higher layer of substrate. Should I use flourite sand on top of the flourite? The Monte Carlo should
have easier rooth growth on sand? Read this flourite/flourite sand is a pain to clean but worth it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode