My Planted Tanks: Progress - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You might consider cleaning the substrate as all that detritus will not be doing any favors moving forward...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
You might consider cleaning the substrate as all that detritus will not be doing any favors moving forward...
The army of ghost shrimps that I got in there have clean almost all of the area of the substrate, even at the base of each stem plants. Even small patches of green algae growing on the gravel also getting broken down & dying. Without them I cannot remove a lot of the waste because it attached to the gravel.

All of the plants are now recovering because algae is now under control. One thing I learned that detritus/mulm are rich in nutrients. Algae can take advantage from them. Taking care of them stop algae from blooming. Right now I'm dealing with green water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

Having the shrimp eat the detritus does not remove it from the system it just converts it even faster into ammonia which causes things like, I don't know, green water?

Physically removing it from the tank via water change and gravel vac may give better results...

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
Having the shrimp eat the detritus does not remove it from the system it just converts it even faster into ammonia which causes things like, I don't know, green water?

Physically removing it from the tank via water change and gravel vac may give better results...
Of course I did not let them do the job alone. I have been physically removing remnants of detritus & do water change twice a week. "Dealing with green water" should have given an impression that I'm doing my part too. 🙂 I also have been keeping up in ammonia. So far I did not notice any spike & remain at 0 ppm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

You won't see an ammonia spike. The nuisance organisms are very opportunistic and use it up before you can measure it. The green water is your indication of excess ammonia, caused by a dirty tank with lots of decaying material, as evidenced in your previous pictures.

Just keep up with the cleaning and eventually it will go away, then try not to let your tank get so dirty...

"Green water

This is quite a rarity in tanks (as opposed to ponds) unless you’re tampering with carbon dioxide and nutrient levels, but it can still strike out of the blue.

The cause is a unicellular alga that lives free in the water, too small to get trapped in filters, and too persistent to be diluted out with a simple water change or two.

Ammonia is implicated in causing and sustaining green water, and stirring up substrates, subsequently releasing ammonia in to the water, can be a trigger. Off the shelf algaecides may help, water changes do very little, and my own experiences have found that a temporary black out where lights are turned off and the tank shrouded to keep out any external light will help reduce it, but not always eradicate it.

To add to the frustration, it will often disappear in a day or two entirely on its own."

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....your-aquarium/
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There are so many articles. None of the articles that I refer to mention ammonia.
https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping...ae_green-water
https://fishlab.com/green-aquarium-water/

I'm already in the right path if you really read my first reply.

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank #2
262 days
The water have been clear for a couple of days. No more mulm/detritus buildup. There are few dead patches of green algae on the substrate.

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Re-posting with better picture quality

Tank #1
301 days

Tank #2
263 days

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This damn thing keep coming back. Look at the gravel in second pic (problematic) vs first pic (clean).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_122426_1592887283154.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	900185

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_122401_1592887315814.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	900187

BTW, the stem plants are growing slowly than before. Therefore I ordered flourish & flourish nitrogen to boost their growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode