Bio-film or viscosity? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bio-film or viscosity?

Hey guys.

So I have a couple moss balls and a water onion that pearls a lot. Also, my substrate (composted potting soil under a river rock cap), releases a few bubbles too.

Also, the tank is still cycling.

Due to no water movement, I do get a biofilm all the time. I do PWCs once a week.

I clean the film with a paper towel and occasionally agitate the surface with my tweezers.

However, many of the bubbles that come from my aquarium gets trapped under the surface and just kind of hang out all day. At the end of the day, the water directly above my water onion looks like a bubble nest.

Larger bubbles break the surface fine but the smaller ones don't. Is that still a biofilm issue? Or is my water just more viscous than standard water?

Also, if both co2 and o2 bubbles are being trapped, is that a bad thing? Maybe an accidental win?

In the photo, those are bubbles from my water onion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190930_211042.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	887653  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philyoosays View Post
Hey guys.

So I have a couple moss balls and a water onion that pearls a lot. Also, my substrate (composted potting soil under a river rock cap), releases a few bubbles too.

Also, the tank is still cycling.

Due to no water movement, I do get a biofilm all the time. I do PWCs once a week.

I clean the film with a paper towel and occasionally agitate the surface with my tweezers.

However, many of the bubbles that come from my aquarium gets trapped under the surface and just kind of hang out all day. At the end of the day, the water directly above my water onion looks like a bubble nest.

Larger bubbles break the surface fine but the smaller ones don't. Is that still a biofilm issue? Or is my water just more viscous than standard water?

Also, if both co2 and o2 bubbles are being trapped, is that a bad thing? Maybe an accidental win?

In the photo, those are bubbles from my water onion.
My thank is few months old and I still get biofilm. What I recommend you to do is buy a surface skimmer like the one in the picture.

It only costs 10$ but it will keep your surface christal clear which is also very healthy for your tank.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
evil8 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My thank is few months old and I still get biofilm. What I recommend you to do is buy a surface skimmer like the one in the picture.

It only costs 10$ but it will keep your surface christal clear which is also very healthy for your tank.

I'm assuming OP has a no filter setup dirt tank.

I think what you've been doing with the pwc is correct. You could probably scoop a small amount off the top every day if you're worried about it. It should definitely help with keeping c02 in and as long as you have enough plants in your tank, oxygen should not be an issue. Someone with more experience will chime in I hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

@Econde, he can still use the skimmer until everything settles down then he can remove it. A skimmer like this always comes in handy.

evil8 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 AM

Hi!

I used an air stone and weekly 10-15% water changes on my nano to assist with cycling. Not sure if you are aiming for low tech/no tech. But it helped a lot with the biofilm on my low tech tanks.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Econde It is a nofilter tank with potting soil

@kaytie.a.lee I'm going for a no-tech tank. Just the light and a heater if it gets cold. When I skim the surface with a paper towel, I replace the little bit of water that the paper towel takes out with fresh water. Did you only use the airstone for cycling? Did you eventually take it out?
Econde likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philyoosays View Post
@Econde It is a nofilter tank with potting soil

@kaytie.a.lee I'm going for a no-tech tank. Just the light and a heater if it gets cold. When I skim the surface with a paper towel, I replace the little bit of water that the paper towel takes out with fresh water. Did you only use the airstone for cycling? Did you eventually take it out?

Hello! I took the air stone out my no tech tank after it fully cycled. I would still get bacterial blooms and white algae once in a while in the beginning but it just helped agitate the surface. Also introduced more floating plants that helped with natural water filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
evil8 and philyoosays like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode