4 Gallon Reboot - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Duboisi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
4 Gallon Reboot

Had this ready for awhile, keeping plants in my 75g until I had time to put it together. I should have taken it slow, burying the wood down a bit more in the front to see the slope in behind it, but for now I think its okay. I'm expecting the ranaculus to grow a bit to peek over the wood and I want some floating plants to help with light intensity for the parva. Believe it or not, that parva has been growing in the 75 for 2 years from one pot. Man is it a slow grower. It definitely needs shade and I'll most likely dose excel to help combat algae until I find a balance.

Flora:
  • Crypt parva
  • Anubias nana petit
  • Hydrocotyle sp. japan
  • Hydrocotyle asiatica
  • Hygrophila Pinnatifida
  • Ranunculus Inundatus
  • Micranthemum umbrosum

Fauna:
  • 1 Assassin Snail
  • Pond Bladder Snails
  • Mini Ramshorn Snails
  • Planned - Betta? Mosquito fish?(never kept these) Rasbora boraras? (never had luck with these, they always jumped)

Equipment:
  • Ebay/Amazon 165W LED Aquarium Light for Coral, blue spectrum turned off, white/red/green/softwhite turned down to I think 15-25% maybe two feet from water surface. Not sure what my lighting schedule should be and I need to find my timer.
  • IF-202 powerhead - man, this thing has been with me since the beginning. Its perfect right now too because its so old that flow is reduced significantly and perfect for what its being used for. Slight water movement.
  • No heater.

Substrate: Fluval Stratum.

-

Last edited by KwhyLE; 07-10-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: substrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great! Doing research about parva myself. What happens if the parva is not in the shade?
KwhyLE likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duboisi View Post
Looks great! Doing research about parva myself. What happens if the parva is not in the shade?
It's a notoriously slow grower, so it is super prone to algae. When I had it in my 75 before it found its balance, I as struggling with bba and gsa on them even though they were around 20" from a low par light. After the parva got shaded and the tank matured, they finally started to grow.

From my exp, parva does not melt, but it does go in a sort of dormant stage when it's environment changes.

I found someone locally who sells a bunch of plants and I got some giant duckweed and azolla. When I got home, I realized there were 4 guppy fry in the bag and I could never get myself to get rid of anything alive, so they're in now. Lights are now at 50-75% and the plants look good.

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode