Help Needed for S.repens and rotola Bonsai - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Needed for S.repens and rotola Bonsai

Hello all!

Need some help here, i have a 2ft low tech planted tank using with ADA amazonia soil. Recently, has encountered some problems in regards to the plants not growing well especially S.repens and rotola bonsai. The S. repens seems like melting away despite me trying my best to figure what has happened. The leaves are whitish green that doesnt seems normal?

The rotola bonsai is okay for the first week that i planted in, however, the leaves starts to turn brown which i cut it off( that explains the bonsai is abit botak. haha)

I have been dosing APT 5 mL for twice every 2 days and have been doing WC for 2times a week using RO water

I suspect that the RO water does not contain enough minerals for the plants?

I have some pictures to show for the S.repens and rotola bonsai. My tank parameters are as below:

TDS: 120 ppm

pH: 6.8

gH: 25- 50

kH: 25

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

Thank you in advance

https://ibb.co/WpPP5PZ https://ibb.co/JC7ZsJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

You said you planted the plants a week ago? Your melting might be normal due to your plants adapting to sumberged state. Your ADA soil should be providing all required nutrients so it's not a starvation issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, but how long it would usually adapt to submerged form? i thought S. repens is already submerged?

Anything i can help to fasten this process?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

Most aquatic plants are grown in emerged state and will undergo a transition period when fully submerged. Pretty much your current leafs will die and new should start growing soon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:08 PM

My 30l heavily planted nano tank has S.repens, the problem faced is my rabbit snails are eating it but, it still seems to be growing well after 5 weeks. Also, ADA amazonia soil with RO water at tds of 200 to 250 depending on how much Equlibrium that i put in each water change. There has been no melt, but iv done frequent water changes at least 2/week as there is 9 small cardinal tetras and6 amano shrimps in the tank too. Goodluck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Okay thank you all! i guess i will wait for the S. Repens to adapt to emerged form before i can see some results. Hopefully i can post some better pictures soon!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience, s repens is one of those plants that you leave alone for several weeks after initial planting, it will melt back a little, but once it establishes and converts to submersed form, it takes off. Basically whatís needed here is a little patience and itíll pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode