• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By germanblueramlover
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy 7G(30l) low tech - white spot

Hello all
Recently, 4 weeks ago, I started a low tech planted aquarium and everything was going well until, i added some stock! On the 4th week, i added 10 very small cardinal tetra. For me the whole process was a nightmare because, the supplier sent me the fish in a massive box, 4 times as big as the aquarium they were intended for. Anyways, because the bag was so big in my aquarium, i panicked, and put the fish in before the tempratures of bag and aquarium were levled out.

The next day, one fish was practically dead so was removed, and, most of the others had white spots on the fins and bodies. Therefore, the next day, i aquired some esha exit so that i could treat the fish. The doseage was 6 drops on day 1, followed by 3 drops day 2 and 3 drops on the third day. However, the white spot is still observable on the 3 rd day after treatment. All the fish have become quite reclusive and seem to have gone of their food.

In the instructions for use of esha exit is says that there might be a need for another treatment, clearly, in my case, i will definately have to dose again. But, firstly, i will do a 50% water change tomorrow(day4) then day5 i will reapply the treatment. During the next round of treatment, i will also increase the temp from 24 degrees celcius to 30 degrees, apparently this helps make the treatment more effective. Should or could i add another esha treatment to increase the treatments effectiveness?

The aquarium is heavily planted, with 6 amano shrimps hence the use of esha exit.

Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

Usually I would only go with stocking 2 or 3 fish (depending on what species) at a time and then do the same thing a week later as long as the you test the water and the parameters are still okay. Adding too many too quickly can cause an ammonia spike especially in a newly cycled tank since it’s technically not matured and can cause problems. I would also definitely acclimate the fish to the tank water they will be going in. As for the white spots it kind of sounds like Ich. Did they have the spots on them before putting them into the tank? I would take them out and quarantine them in a smaller tank until you take care of the problem and they’re better but that’s just me.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would use either medication for Ich or heat- not both. I know that many recommend to use both, but, it only puts unnecessary stress on a fish that is already physically compromised. Also, the higher the heat, the quicker that bacteria spreads among tissues where the Ich parasite feeds on fish.
It is common protocol ( with whatever medication you use) to treat Ich for 3 days after all visible signs of the parasite are gone from fish. This is so that you are ensured in killing the parasite in the free-swimming stage.
So, I would recommend:
Do not turn up heat
Treat for three more days with medication.
Do water changes between doses to lower parasite load in water column-- at least 25%
Vacuum gravel/substrate to remove parasites/reduce numbers increasing to free-swimming stage.

Edit: Continue to treat in tank that outbreak occurred. Not quarantine. Once Ich is visible, it is in different stages of life-cycle in tank that you do not see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

What are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in tank. Also PH/GH/KH? Sounds like you didn’t even cycle tank.

Also cardinals are fairly sensitive fish, not really a good choice for 1st fish in immature/new tank. The fact that you didn’t acclimate to to PH, GH as well as temp hit them with a triple shock. Wouldn’t be out ordinary to see secondary infections set in soon as well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would be good to know ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc, but a heavily planted tank at 4 weeks is probably decently cycled, especially if said plants where previously growing submersed!

The only advantage to increasing heat when fighting white spot is to speed up the parasite's life cycle to hopefully clear it quicker, but warmer water will hold less oxygen, and it's another big change for the fish to get used to so quickly after being added into your tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:29 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to the forums! What size is this tank? Just curious because you mentioned the shipping box was much larger. If it's a 10 or smaller, cardinals weren't an ideal choice. And even though an aquarium might be "cycled" according to test kits, a few more weeks would be prudent before adding livestock that is remotely delicate. And growing plants can really uptake some nitrogen and trick your test kits, in a way.
germanblueramlover likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have just noticed the post date of the OP - seems we have all been fooled into responding to an older thread! OP has not been online in almost a month now.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:06 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Not again! At least it wasn't 6 years old this time.
germanblueramlover likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode