This is my first post on this site and also my first attempt at a planted tank. I recently acquired a 55 gallon tank and completely repaired it (new frames & new caulk). I have confirmed it holds water to the brim with no leaks (yay!) and now I'm attempting to get this baby up and running. I've been scouring the internet for information (possibly too much) and I wanted to pass on my vision I have for this tank and ask for guidance. Any and ALL
- Heres what I have so far. I have a buddy bringing me rocks back from TN (I need to bake these correct?) to accent the wood, should be getting those tomorrow.
- I bought 2 bags of Organic Potting Soil (Do I need to bake this?) and 2 bags of Black Coal Slag. I was planning on doing 2" of soil and 1" of Black Coal Slag in the front of the tank and slopping it towards the back to add depth (probably 4" of soil MAX and the 1" Black Coal Slag cap)
Can I go ahead and put the substrate in and set up the entire hardscape weeks before I plan on putting plants down? I plan on spacing out the purchasing of items (filters>lights>plants), it will be about a month before I plant and fill up to start cycling.
- I toyed around with the idea of buying and using a canister filter for the first time but have decided to go with 2 AC 70s for the tank.
My questions are:
How should I arranged them in the tank? (|X|||||||X|)?
Also will this be too much flow for plants and small fish such as tetras or angels?
What type of custom media should I put in the filters? Should both filters hold the same kind of media?
- I was looking at these two lights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P96UA8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
My questions are:
Will these work OK for a low tech tank?
Any other recommendations for lights within the price range up to $125 USD (Bonus points if it has a gradual intensity climb)
What kind of light cycle should I use? I would like to enjoy the light on when I'm actually home to look at it.
- Really need some suggestions here. I have Java Fern & Vallisneria written down already. I would love to add some type of color profile to this tank besides green if possible.
- I don't even want to touch this subject yet lol I feel so overwhelmed already.
Sorry for the wall of text and Thank You in advance!