Interested in getting back into it - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interested in getting back into it

I set up a 20g long pressurized co2 tank last year. It quickly became a nuisance, due to kids activities getting busier. Didn't have time for it. Sadly, I tore it down.

But, now I'm getting the itch back. I just can't have a house without a tank!

Anyhoo, I want to set up the same tank, but with no pressurized co2.

The main question I have is with my lighting. I have a Finnex Planted + lighting system. Are there non pressurized co2 dependent plants that would thrive with my lighting?

Or do I need a different, lower light system?

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post
I set up a 20g long pressurized co2 tank last year. It quickly became a nuisance, due to kids activities getting busier. Didn't have time for it. Sadly, I tore it down.

But, now I'm getting the itch back. I just can't have a house without a tank!

Anyhoo, I want to set up the same tank, but with no pressurized co2.

The main question I have is with my lighting. I have a Finnex Planted + lighting system. Are there non pressurized co2 dependent plants that would thrive with my lighting?

Or do I need a different, lower light system?
I have a Finnex Planted+ over a 20g long tank that grows a crypt, hygrophilia corymbosa and some other small plants without much problem. No co2. Some ludwigia repens I think.

The hygro seems to love it, actually.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

I have a Finnex Planted + as well. Plants or mostly low to medium light. Anubias, crypt, buce, Rotala Indica. I am dosing Flourish Excel to have some available Co2. Also had to raise the light and cut the photoperiod due to green hair algae issues. My tank is only 5 gallons so it has been a little work trying to balance it all out.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Hopefully that light is dimmable, so you can easily adjust the amount of light you are providing. If so, start low and slowly bump it up every few weeks. Make sure you plant heavy at the beginning. Don't do all slow going plants like crypts and anubias. Get some moss in there, pearlweed, Monte Carlo, maybe some rotala. Start with a lot of plants and a good substrate and you should do fine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 48" Finnex Planted + 24/7 on my 60g. I have it running in 24/7 mode from 6am until midnight. I have amazon swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, java moss, and floating water sprite. I once had jungle val, water wisteria, and dwarf sag. They've all done well with very modest ferts and no CO2 or gluteraldehyde (Excel or Metricide)!
For regular planted +, you may need to dim or adjust the photo period - then again, floating plants reduce light penetration. The beauty of low tech is no muss, no fuss.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is it the planted+ 24/7 series or the original Planted+?

To answer your question, lots of plants will thrive in your 20L with your light. I have a 20L with a Planted+ (non-dimmable) that I just suspended higher off the tank so that I don't get a lot of algae. I grow java Moss and Amazon sword babies in it. My main 20L had a Current Sat+, but it was running constant at 50% brightness and no algae. When that died, I put a spare Beamswork (yeah, it's older) and it sits an inch or so higher and works just as good. The plants haven't complained.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_a View Post
Is it the planted+ 24/7 series or the original Planted+?

To answer your question, lots of plants will thrive in your 20L with your light. I have a 20L with a Planted+ (non-dimmable) that I just suspended higher off the tank so that I don't get a lot of algae. I grow java Moss and Amazon sword babies in it. My main 20L had a Current Sat+, but it was running constant at 50% brightness and no algae. When that died, I put a spare Beamswork (yeah, it's older) and it sits an inch or so higher and works just as good. The plants haven't complained.
My lights are the same (non-dimmable). How do you suspend your lights? Do you have a pic(s)?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Start with a lot of plants and a good substrate and you should do fine.
What do you recommend for substrate?

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well....I have access to a 3D printer, so I used the risers. On my grow tank, I have them in a metal gorilla rack, and just ran chain between the uprights and rested the light on the end chains. I adjusted it up/down in 1" increments until I had the amount of light I wanted and left it there. It looks kinda like this only smaller.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode