3 Tanks, Bad Ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 3 Tanks, Bad Ideas?

I haven't had fish in a long time but have three tanks that I would like to set-up. I would like advise on all three but will start with some general questions in this thread.

My idea is this:
Tank 1: 29g Planted, Low Tech Office Tank
Tank 2: 20g Long Quarantine Tank that transitions to a planted tank
Tank 3: 40g Breeder Hillstreams Tank?
I have a rack at home that I can put the 40g breeder on top of and the 20g long on the bottom of. My idea is to use the 20g as a quarantine tank while I am setting-up the 29g and 40g. After other things are set-up, I would like to turn the 20g into a black & white fish (ex.: panda tetra, spotted danio, black & white cory, etc.) tank with coloured shrimp.

Would you fully plant the 20g while you are using it as a quarantine tank or empty it after it serves that purpose and then plant it? My plan is to use a matten cornerfilter on this tank.

To stock the 29g tank I am thinking of the following:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  12.6 KB

Too much? It's probably too much. Ideas? The tank seems really tall and I would like to take advantage of that but the only way I can think of is to use a top water fish like the hatchetfish. What should I use as a filter? HOB? Cannister? Matten cornerfilter? The tank has to look good, not just be clean and it has to be relatively quiet.

I really like the idea of a hillstream tank but am thinking maybe I should do that in a bigger tank. The 40g seemed really big until I started thinking about what I would really like to do with it. I did some research and had a plan and then saw Rachel O'leary's tank and then saw this
. They are very similar to what I had visualized but they dwarf the 40g. I guess I should just start with the 29g and see what I'm up for after that.

Thank you for any tips or suggestions!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode